XP Pro install halts after loading files
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
Since I last talked to you all, I've started working as an assistant to the IT guy on my campus. We were going to use a leftover kit from the hardware class (see my previous posts)to build a replacement for the instructor computer in one of our "non-technical" rooms. (In other words the computer is the only one in the classroom.)

Anyhow, We got it assembled ok, and have flashed the BIOS. However, now when we try to install XP Pro SP2, the install stops just after it loads all the files. The message at the bottom of the screen displays "Setup is starting Windows" and then the screen goes black for a second. The screen comes back with the message "There is a syntax error in the .SIF file that Setup uses at line: 376. Setup cannot continue. Shut down or restart your computer." (Most of the time the line is 376, but it has changed at times.)

The thing is, we're trying to do an attended install, so it shouldn't need any SIF files. Both my boss and me are totally stumped. Any ideas?
jeffd
Reply Quote
Hi gayjaybird, looks like nobody knew this one, sorry about that. Usually xp install issues are either bad hardware, bad install cd, or an issue with installing a crack, a non-legal copy that is.

There's no real way to know which it is however.
Thanks anyway.
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
Yeah my boss did some poking around and said the mobo was bad. We've got a new one ordered, but it'll be a few days.

Thanks for your help,

Jason