I need a new monitor -
vkaryl
Reply Quote
looking at another 17"ViewSonic like the one I have (which I LOVE, contrary to some of the other folks around....) because it does 1600x1200 and my graphics card loves it too - or an lcd....

This will be my primary monitor, with the current ViewSonic 17" becoming the secondary - and that's why "matching" them seems logical to me.

I would like to have an lcd as primary. However, there's no way I can afford a 1600x1200 lcd, the cheapest of which seems to be in the $550 to $600+ price range. The 17" lcds that ARE in my price range are 1280x1024 (which is what I get out of my current secondary, an absolutely antique ProView 17" crt).

Any specific recommendations? Keep in mind - FIRMLY in mind - that "tiny font sizes" is NOT A PROBLEM. I don't CARE about that aspect of other people's eye problems.... I don't have that period. I care about high res, screen real-estate, graphics, and price.

Thanks.
jeffd
Reply Quote
If you're going LCD, you'll be spending about what you said, I found my favorite, a 204T-Black SyncMaster 20in LCD Monitor but it's about $580. But it does have what you want, 1600 pixel resolution.

That's a pretty good price, especially for that size, 20", which on LCD will blow your socks off, that's almost like a 22" crt.

But you're going to be spending money no matter what. Personally, I'd rather just get a dual monitor setup, 2 17" LCD's, it would be cheaper, and a lot more screen space. But if you want 1600 pixels, that's what it's going to cost you. I wouldn't go with any cheaper brands at this size, that's a lot of pixels to potentially fail.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Yeah, that's really what I figured, thanks.

I'd LOVE to be able to just buy two lcds like that, but I really can't right now. So I think I'll just do the matching crt, and maybe after taxtime next year I can do a better setup. Or if my local directory I'm working on starts bringing in money hand over fist (oh yeah right - THAT'S likely, that is! *laughing*)

Thanks for the input.
Robert_Charlton
Reply Quote
vkaryl - I had a similar problem, discussed a bit in this thread, on which you were the last poster...

techpatterns.com/forums/about409.html

I've been snowed under by work so haven't even set up the 17" Viewsonic, which eventually did come back from Viewsonic repair.

In the meantime, I can't tell you how pleased I've been with the SyncMaster 930B. It's a superb monitor.

I can only guess that when I get the Viewsonic up next to it, the Viewsonic won't have the contrast range of the Samsung, but I'll get used to it. Physically, the outside dimensions of 930B and the 17" Viewsonic are roughly the same.
Robert_Charlton
Reply Quote
PS to the above... Upon rereading, I see that the situations aren't the same. The 930B and the 17" Viewsonic LCD are both 1280, not 1600 pixels.

Two 1600 px monitors side by side... that's a bit of real estate.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Glad to see the monitor worked out for you, that's good to hear. I still really like these samsungs, I'll probably have to get another one at some point, but right now I have to rebuild my box, it's dying, sick mobo, going with an MSI 64 bit mobo with amd.