SUSE now available for free download
techAdmin
Reply Quote
SUSE has joined Redhat's Fedora in opening their consumer desktop, and allowing free downloads of it. Finally, it took long enough.

The first release is 9.3, as well as a developer's release of 10.0.

You can get the download here.

This is good, I've liked SUSE for some applications, although generally I much prefer to use a Debian based distro like Kanotix, but SUSE tends to have better support for certain things like Laptops power management and so on.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
That's great! Except (*laughing and rolling eyes*) the SHORTEST time I could get by with downloading would be about 10 hours.... not that it matters, I have it on cd already, all I have to do is download the update from 9.1 to current (maybe only about 4 hours.... *sigh* - don't ya just love dialup?)

I'm going to go ahead and install SUSE as well as Kanotix, because I have to tell you that the stuff for dual screens/updated vid and modems on Kanotix is not real workable.... so it looks as if SUSE will work for that sort of thing, while I use Kanotix for getting "into" linux. *shrug* No biggie, I'm okay with flipping OSes....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Pick the distro that works for you, that's the whole thing, this is free software. The distro that you start with is very unlikely to be the distro you end with.

That's why it's good to make a partition that you can mount from all your distros, and keep your real data in there, call it say, hmmm.... /data.

When you get to that point I'll explain how to make that. With a shared data partition, you can boot from one to another, until you find the one you really like, but it takes a while of playing around with this stuff before you get a real feel for it, I started with Redhats, bopped around, landed on Yoper, liked that, but it's too unstable, then tried a few others, then found Kanotix. By this time I'm enough of a geek to not be phased by getting things like dual monitors to work, but that's after 5 years of more off than on exposure to Linux, a lot of that time spent fixing various serious issues.

However, I'll send you a care package of SUSE 9.3 now that it's available for cd download.