A problem with a WordPress core file implementation
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Hi guys - I'm back. If you could read through this topic, please?

wordpress.org/support/topic/39296

You will note that only two of us seem to be concerned, and that the dev team hasn't bothered to respond at all.

Would one of you be able to look through the core files in the 1.5 distro, compare to the 1.5.13 distro, and determine what needs to be changed in 1.5.13 to make the archive and category pages display the way they did in 1.5?

Neither kickass (bj novack) nor I are php whizzes. Neither of us wants to chance twinking something in core files and blowing the whole shebang....

Appreciate any help you can offer, and thanks much in advance!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I read through the thread you linked to, I have to admit, I really dislike two things about wordpress, first, its programming, as of 1.0 it was terrible, haven't checked out 1.5, gave up on the whole idea.

Second, their really stupid blog style support boards, It's nice and all to have the whole blog thing going, but there are times when a standard quality forum format works much better than the junk wordpress uses. I've tried posting there too, with about the same results, it's a waste of time, although the bug reports might help.

Re the validation thing that was mentioned, there is a point to that, it's actually very hard to make code validate, especially when you use <p>'s as paragraph separators, when the user can insert tags into the HTML, like divs. A div in a p does not validate, whereas a div in a div containing blocks of text separated by <br /><br /> validates fine. That's I think what they are referring to, I know I tried getting p's in phpbb, but it was too hard, whereas if I used divs, it would work fine, but be pointless.

Short answer, very little can motivate me to go through a big code package, I have to a: like it, and b: be using it actively, and, c: in worse case scenario, get paid a lot to do it.

<begin why oscommerce sucks rant>
I recently did c:, using oscommerce. One piece of advice: oscommerce really really sucks. It is a dead open source project, last code update was like in 2003 or something. It is a nightmare to work with, no templating, PHP programming code mixed in with the page HTML, massively bloated programming, huge lags on decent quality servers, everything that can be done badly has been done badly. On the bright side, it's been forked to zencart, which is trying to get the project moving in the right direction, with somewhat coherent templating systems etc. But I diverge. <end rant>

Wordpress isn't a project I can justify spending time on, unless they've finally cured their php globals addiction, as mister ergo phobe said elsewhere re wordpress, horrible programming. It does work fine though, or did, except for that fact that you had to redo everything to update 1.0 to next version, which is why I never did it.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
That's understandable. I'll have to get at it another way, I guess - I not only don't have time to try to teach myself php right now, I don't have the need or interest.

Thanks!
Check out xSellit
ocelot
Reply Quote
Check out xSellit Storefronts at goxsellit.com. The company who
developed this system have been software/web developers for over 17 years. Their monthly fees are lower than most hosted packages out there and you own the store! It is an all-in-one complete storefront - all inclusive - with NO hidden monthly fees. They give you everything you need to sell online and are truly seo friendly.