Connecting to router - Thinks its connected
Yokai
Reply Quote
I have it connect to the lan, but im having some trouble getting it to connect to the web. I just reformated my computer and just installed a fresh copy of XP professional. When I restarted, the computer was obviously not connected to the internet. When I tried to create a new connection, using the create a new connection wizard, it says "your brodband connection should already be configured and be ready to use. If you connection is not working propery, click the following link." The link brings me to a microsoft help and trouble shooting guide on how to repair a lan or high speed internet connection but does not adress my problem.

I have a NETGEAR wireless round, I am plugged in with eathernet into the netgear which goes into our modem. MY other computers are connected to the same router, wirelessly i might add, and they are working very smooth (or i wouldnt be here right now)

Please, help me
erikZ
Reply Quote
When you say you have it connected to the LAN, does that mean you can see the workgroup from the XP machine you're having trouble with? If you share a folder on one of them, can you access that folder from the XP machine?

Can you ping another machine on the network from the XP machine?

Can you ping techpatterns.com from the xp machine?

To ping something, hit 'start->run' type in 'cmd', a command line window will open, type in: ping techpatterns.com

You should see the ip address properly resolve.

If it times out, you don't have a connection to the internet. If you can ping another machine on your network, you do that by getting its IP address, then typing in this command: ping [your other machine's IP address], for example:
ping 192.168.0.12

If that times out, and you used the right IP address, you have no network connection.

Can you ping the xp machine:
ping 127.0.0.1
or
ping localhost

If this fails your networking card is broken, or doesn't have the right driver installed.

Have you double checked the networking cable, tried replacing it with another cable?

When you reinstalled XP, did you install the networking drivers, if required? When you go to 'my computer', right click it, select 'properties', select 'hardware', click 'device manager', are there any red x'es visible. Is your networking card present and without a red x?

It's also just possible that there is a setting in the netgear router that makes it either wireless or wired, not both. Does the XP machine connect to the internet if you connect with wireless? If it does, there's nothing wrong with your xp configuration most probably.

Did you for some reason skip installing tcp/ip on your xp machine?