Small oddity with forum itself:
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Hi tech admin....

Lately, when I access the forum, I will see at least one "new post" indicator whether it's really new or not. After clicking on the link shown, then clicking on the forum index link to return to the main page, almost EVERY topic in the forum will show new posts, even though many of the latest posts will be weeks previously. For instance, today, after accessing the two posts made today (6/13), every other topic but this one (that is, Completely Random....) shows the "new post" indicator.

Not really a problem per se, just odd.....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm not seeing that, just checked, but I have to say, 2.0.15 is my least favorite update of phpbb so far, it's fairly annoying, especially the thing with admin users not staying logged in. I wonder if there's a bug in that version.

Have you seen this on any other phpbb forum? I tried it with a standard user account and didn't see anything, but you did, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bug, they did a lot of stuff with sessions on this one.

added :: this was our fault
This problem was caused by a mistake we made in updating the forums, includes/sessions.php specifically. phpBB, as usual, did a great job in creating the update, and are in no way shape or form to blame for this error. There is nothing wrong with 2.0.15, or any subsequent update we've applied. The blame for this issue is soley on techpatterns.com, not phpbb.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
This is (at present) the only board I access that's updated. I've been gone so even my own aren't updated yet (bad girl! *laughing*)

I'll keep an eye out once I get back into sync - I'll report back at a later date.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
This is the only board that's doing it, far as I can tell. I haven't changed any of my settings either.... using FF 1.0.4....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The changes are pretty annoying, I'm going to look into rolling some of them back if it's safe to do so, a lot of them were made for fools/newbie user protection, people logging onto their admin section from publically accessible computers, then leaving the logged in cookie.

I really wish they wouldn't release certain features that protect the lowest common denominator users from themselves, there should be two options for updates if they must do that.

I believe what's happening is that since you use dialup, your ip is always different, and it's checking user ips, this is stupid obviously, but there it is.

The annoying thing here is that this security feature is backported from the upcoming 3.0 release, which means more junk to disable to make it useable, sigh... maybe I won't upgrade to 3.0, I don't know, I'll see.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Makes sense.... the IP thing I mean - except that doesn't account for the fact that every topic goes to showing "unread" threads once I've read one "really unread" thread....

I'd already decided I'm not moving to 3.0 - not for a pretty long time anyway.

[Edited 06/22 - came back to check something else: it also shows bunches of "unread" notifications after going to an already "read" post even if nothing is unread when I get here.... not sure if it's something you've done in scripting or something they've done. None of the other ones I've checked that are fully up-to-date have this many posts.... or the level of hands-on that you've done!]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
vkaryl, there's definitely something wrong, I'm checking into it now, something broke after 2.0.15, something in how the cookies are getting written. If you don't delete this forum cookie, if it was set before 2.0.15, there's no major problems, but if you delete your login cookie, then close the browser, then try logging back in, it looks like you won't stay logged in.

I'm not sure where the messup is, it's probably connected to how the script is extracting your logged in status, might be the same problem with view unread icons too, this is really annoying, something they did messed up something I did, or vica versa, which makes it really hard to figure it out.

HIDES FACE IN SHAME...
I made a mistake. And it was just where I thought above, in where the cookie is read in this case. When I updated to 2.0.15 I accidentally did a search and replace for some reason and got rid of the !$admin in includes/sessions.php, which occurs two places there, and replaced it with $admin, which broke it for both normal users and admin users, how annoying, it's been broken for a while now, sorry about that, but glad I finally found the problem, my fault again, and got it fixed.

Update to latest version
Vkaryl, by the way, if you haven't do so yet, make sure to update to 2.0.17, there's a significant security hole in anything pre 2.0.17 that can result in server getting taken over.

PS
Vkaryl, did this fix any of the other issues you've seen?