Firefox TabBrowser Extension tabextensions.js file
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Here's a fairly workable configuration file for the amazingly feature filled Firefox extension tabbrowser extension

This is an amazingly powerful extension, ignore all the dire warnings about it's stability, the main problem with this extension is it's a total pain to configure, the configuration interface is very poorly done, makes almost no sense.

Tab Browser Extension prefernences.js download: version 2005071301
Changed a setting that resulted in huge history page cache being created, now it seems to run much better overall.

Download the zipped preferences file here. This requires the latest version of tabbrowser extension, make sure you've updated both Firefox and this extension to the latest versions before proceeding to install the preferences file.

Important: you should delete all traces of tab browser preferences from all your preferences folder before installing this. There is a 'tab extension' folder, delete it as well as the existing tabpreferences.js file. I also recommend that you uninstall your old version, then restart firefox, before installing the new version. Updates simply do not work very well with this extension.

To install it, simply go to the tab browser extension options [tools -> extensions -> highlight then right click tabbrowser extension -> select 'options' ], then click 'import settings' and navigate to the unzipped version of the preferences file you've downloaded.

This setup will give you a very powerful tab browsing experience. It is set to have one browser open unless you request more, user requested popups open in a tab. remembers last tabs closed, set to show tabs fixed width, 3 rows of tabs before opening new browser, and much more.

Forget all those other Firefox tab extensions, this one does it all, it's much better, although it's had stability issues, most of which are caused by the setting that caches the entire tab session, that tends to eventually slow down Firefox hopelessly.
MatthewHSE
Location: Central Illinois, typically glued to a computer screen
Reply Quote
Hey, nice work in this. I haven't tried Tabbrowser Extensions for quite some time now, probably not since Fx 0.7. At that time, it had largely gotten over the stability problems but still caused significant slow-downs even without the auto-restore feature turned on. I may need to start with a fresh install and profile and give this a try - it makes much more sense to use a single extension rather than the three or four I'm using now to achieve the same level of functionality.
jeffd
Reply Quote
I've been using that for a few years, despite the problems with it, I've always found it worthwhile, the control you get is so precise that it makes the configuration issues less annoying than they otherwise would be.

But I hope that the guy who writes that starts taking useability into account at some point, his options are really poorly designed, and tend to override each other with no obvious way to know that except endless trial and error.

Every major release seems to break something in the old settings, and it almost always takes me a few hours to figure out the new version.

If this guy would just make his configurations more logical this would be a top choice for anyone. Personally, I've tried working with the collection of tab extensions, but I always give up and go back to tab browser extension, which does everything, and more.