What to do next when everthing is running
Trimplay
Reply Quote
Hello,

Im new to setting up my own website on my computer. I need to ask some questions about what to do next after I have instilled MYSQL, Apache, and PHP on my computer. I need to know how does Apache know that MYSQL is running and working. I know MYSQL is running and working. And next is how do I start the PHP software. I will be glad to get some help.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Hi Trimplay, welcome to the forums.

There's not really enough information here to give you a real answer.

It depends on how you installed the components. If you installed them from the binaries, assuming you're using Windows that is, you needed to install them in this order:

mysql: install, set to start as a Windows NT service on boot. If you're trying to run this on Windows 98 or ME it's not going to work as well.

You can see if it's running as a service, assuming you're using NT, that's 2000 or XP, by going to the adminstrative tools, services, and scroll down the list to see if you see mysql listed, and if it's listed, to see if it's started.

If it's not running as a service, you have to start it running as a service.

Apache: once mysql is installed and running as a service you can install Apache. Apache finds mysql by itself, you don't have to do anything.

Apache also has to be running as a service.

Once Apache and Mysql are installed and running as services, install PHP.

If you did this, it should all work.

You can test each component like this:

Make a test page, call it test.php
Contents are:
:: Code ::
<?php echo 'hello world' ?>

Save that to your default apache web directory, and try loading this:

localhost/test.php

through your browser.

You should see only this:
hello world

If you see the rest, <?php echo etc... php isn't running correctly.

Once you have php running correctly, all you have to do is create a database, then try opening it through php, from the test page.
Thank you
Trimplay
Reply Quote
Thank you jeffd thats what I was looking for.

Ok Next is that I see everthing is working and I'm ready to start building my webpage. When I go to my website using mylocalhost/ and I see the page telling you that Apache is working on your computer you may now start building your website" now where do I go to edit the welcome it showed me. Thankz