Comparison of leading SATA RAID PCI cards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Worthwhile review of the major SATA PCI add on controller cards at tweakers.net. Especially of interest are the comparisons to the more complex and expensive SCSI systems.

:: Quote ::
The once dominant SCSI interface is being pushed to fewer niches by the cheaper alternatives based on Serial ATA technology.

It's a very in-depth review, but the conclusion can save you quite a bit of money and time I think, especially for home systems.

:: Quote ::
The HighPoint RocketRAID 1820A is rewarded for its exceptionally low price. With a price per port just above 30 euros, the RocketRAID 1820A is almost 70 percent cheaper than the RAIDCore BC4852 and even two and a half times cheaper than the Areca ARC-1120. The card doesn't develiver top performance - they RocketRAID 1820A frequently floats in the midfield - but nonetheless, the speed is sufficient for less demanding applications.

Most the testing was focused on RAID 5, but for home use purposes RAID 1 or 0 are also covered.

I'm not sure if these numbers translate to embedded motherboard chipsets, highpoint and promise tend to dominate that part of the market, but Promise got low marks. This doesn't surprise me, I talked to a tech support guy at 3ware who used to work at Promise, he told me that Promise had moved all production offshore, and to expect a significant quality drop [that was in December 05], it looks like that quality drop has happened.

I was never sure about Highpoint, but now I at least have some standard to judge against when making my decisions.