firefox issue/bug
mike
Reply Quote
it seems that intermittently i'll get 'www.whatever.com could not be found' prompts and i have to refresh or click the link again for the link to work. It's a really a pain in the a#s. I checked the firefox support forums and i'm definately not alone in having the problem. Nobody seems to have a fix though.
erikZ
Reply Quote
Are you having these problems on broadband or using dialup connections?

I've heard of Firefox having issues with things like that on dialup, more about downloads etc, but personally I've never, and I mean never, seen any problem like that.

What Firefox version are you running, on what OS?

What is your Firefox cache set to, mine is 50000 KB, which is more than enough, 50 mB is fine.

Are you using a proxy switching extensions, that's causing problems apparently. I use tab browser extensions, which is supposed to be all dangerous and poorly written and I don't have issues, curious to see what the cause is.

Have you upgraded to Firefox 1.0.1, that just came out officially, it's much faster, uses an improved gecko rendering engine version.
jeffd
Reply Quote
You can also try this:

type about:config into the address bar, hit enter, then scroll down the list of configuration options and find:
network.dns.disableIPv6

If it's false, change it to true. The default is false. Disabling IPv6 sometimes can help. If it makes the problem worse, change it back.

To change an about:config setting, select the item, highlight it, right click on it, and in the case of a boolean like this, just select 'toggle' and it will change the value.

If disableipv6 is already true, then try making it false and see if that makes a difference.

I think one of the things that can happen is that firefox tries to run an IPv6 request through a router that can't handle IPv6, I'm not positive about that, but I think that's one of the problems.
mike
Reply Quote
i'm running firefox 1.0.1 on windows me (eek i know it's time to upgrade, but i'm waiting til i get a new machine). i'm on broadband. i did the ipv6 thing in the beginning. and then i cleared my cache. it stopped for a while, not it happens a little less often, but the problem still hasn't gone away. the only extension i have installed is the webmaster one. my cache is also set to 50,000kb. it's wierd it just starting happening a few days ago. everything was fine up until then.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Did you also clear your history? What's your history set to?

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History

I have mine set to about 10 days, it's possible that there's an issue with having a very long history, that wouldn't surprise me.

Of course, using ME, that's painful, but hopefully isn't the cause, unless there is a Windows DNS issue, which is possible.

Try this:
Start -> Run -> cmd
hit enter [type in 'cmd']

The command window opens.

Type in:
:: Code ::
ipconfig /flushdns

hit enter. [There's a space between ipconfig and /flushdns

If the task is successful, you will see this message:
:: Code ::
Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache

That will flush your local DNS cache. See if that helps.
mike
Reply Quote
that when i get to command and run ipconfig /flushdns it doesn't work. that's not one of the options available. actually i don't think there is a dns cache in windows versions prior to win2k
mike
Reply Quote
the history doesn't help either
MatthewHSE
Location: Central Illinois, typically glued to a computer screen
Reply Quote
Hi guys,

I must say I've never heard of that problem, though if it's a discussed issue on mozillazine then others must be experiencing it too.

I wish I knew how to fix the problem, but unfortunately I can only guess in the dark. So I'll just start thinking out loud, and maybe it will help hit on an answer! ;)

Are you running the installer version or a zip build? I always run the zips; I find them more stable and easier to upgrade/remove/alter. If you're running the installer version, you might want to try a zip build.

Are there particular sites that this happens with, or is it a seemingly-random problem? Also, is it possible that your ISP is simply having intermittent connectivity issues? (Probably not since this is a known problem - but who ever knows for sure? ;) )

What if you disable the Web Developer extension? Does the problem still persist?

Have you played around with any about:config settings, such as pipelining? That can cause issues on some sites. Also, you could have some problems if you've disabled sending the referer header. (I've enabled pipelining and disabled the referer headers myself, and haven't had any problems, but they can cause issues under some circumstances.)

How often does this happen? Once a day? One out of ten pageloads? What if you clear your cache again, does the problem go away temporarily?

You say this only started a few days ago. Did you make any changes to your preferences, user files, etc.?
mike
Reply Quote
i dunno, it may have been an isp issue. regardless the problem seems to have simply taken care of itself.