CD burner's and Lightscribe
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
I've got a dilemma here. I just put a LiteOn SOHC 5232K on my home computer. It's a DVD reader/CD burner combo. I have been wanting to try the new Lightscribe labeling system for labeling my CD's. (It uses the burner's laser to 'burn' the label on the non-recorable side of a Lightscribe disc.) The thing is, I don't see anything on LiteOn's site saying anything about whether they support the Lightscribe technology.

According to the Lightsribe website, NERO software does support lightscribe, and I got an OEM CD with my drive that has NERO on it. So, my question is, can I use Lightscribe to label my disks, or not?

Thanks for your help,

Jason
jeffd
Reply Quote
I've never used lightscribe so I can't say for sure. If you are using the free OEM Nero called Nero Express it doesn't have many features. If you have the real version it should work fine, assuming you have version 6.

Lightscribe and Liteon seem to be linked directly, as this article notes.

Nero 6 with lightscribe support will be released, or already has been released, this month. Check the nero site for updates. You would have needed the full version, not the stripped down free version in order to install the update.

:: Quote ::
Nero 6 with LightScribe support will be available for downloading in the beginning of February on www.nero.com.

About LightScribe
LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling offers consumers and businesses a simple, no-hassle way to burn professional, silkscreen-quality labels on their CDs and DVDs. LightScribe extends standard optical media, recorders and software with an integrated system of media with special laser-sensitive coating, laser control and imaging drive modifications, and labeling software enhancements. LightScribe uses the same laser that burns data in the disc drive to create precise, iridescent labels. LightScribe technology was developed and patented by HP. LightScribe is currently being licensed by optical industry leaders in drive and media manufacturing and by media and software brands. Additional information about LightScribe is available at www.lightscribe.com.

Best way to know is to try it.
Lightscribe
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
Well, I've answered my own question. I made sure that I was using the full version of NERO and not the express. The program could handle lightscribe, but the drive I've got doesn't. Apparently the drive must indicate that it is enabled for lightscribe. Oh, well. I can still burn data to the other side of the disk. (And I've got something for my wish list when I upgrade again ;p lol)

I'm not sure if it is a physical technology change or if it is just a firmware update that would enable it. I'll keep an eye on it though and let you guys know.

Take care,

Jason
jeffd
Reply Quote
Jason, keep us posted, sounds like an interesting technology.

You might find these useful further readings:
cdfreaks.com on lightscribe
cdrlabs.com on lightscribe burners

My impression is that it's not a firmware update, but it would be good in general to know that for sure. One thing I did come across was that lightscribe supporting dvd burners by liteon were less able to burn copy protected disks, a liteon strength for a while now.
Is lightscribe hardware or software?
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
I still haven't found a conclusive answer, but everything that I've consulted says that the hardware has to support it. I'm thinking that since you get grayscale images on the label side of the cd, the laser has to be able to burn at different intensities or something. However, once the kinks are worked out, this looks like it could become a standard feature.

I'll keep a watch on it and let you know.

Jason