FileZilla working on Linux version :: Download script too
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Nightly builds of FileZilla Linux alpha version are now available. As you'll see when you start it up, do not report bugs etc to the developers, they know what needs to be done, it's an alpha version.

<update>Filezilla beta is now available for testing. Debian Sid already has it in the repositories, I can't say about the other distros. You can get the Beta 3.0 tarball here.

There's not a lot of difference between the Beta and the nightly builds, except the nightlies will be slightly more up to date, so for my main box I use both, they share the same /hom/user/.filezilla data so it doesn't really matter much which you use. You'll be fine using either the nightly installer script found below, or running the beta tarballed version.

But some features are already working, not enough for production purposes, but I think it's pretty close.

Download the FileZilla Installer script
See the post below for directions on implementing the script. You can download the filezilla installer script here. It has an option to create a kde desktop icon if you want that, and will also create a symbolic link to the installer itself if you want. To use that, you must place the fz.sh script into /home/<your user name>/bin/scripts.

NEW: Script checks for ongoing bzip errors that have been making nightlies break on bunzipping. Now if there is an error, the installation is terminated before it removes your old working install. Also now has a script self-updating feature so you can just get the latest version in case the nightly download url changes, as it does every few months.

By default, the script will install FileZilla into /home/<your user name>/bin. If you want it to install somewhere else, or if you want to place your fz.sh script somewhere else, please make sure to change the path variables at the head of the script.

As always, make sure to make the script executable before trying to run it:
:: Code ::
chmod +x fz.sh

Hope this is helpful to you alpha testers out there.

Arguments for getfz/fz.sh
-d downloads new version before running automatically
-i  skips the icon installation question
-l  skips the symbolic link install [that's an el, not a one]
-b skips both link and icon installs

These arguments are supported in versions greater than or equal to 1.1.0 of this script.
erikZ
Reply Quote
I've been testing those alpha nightly builds too, they aren't working very reliably as of 2-22-05 build, problems with folder transfers.

Instead, I cheated and copied my filezilla folder from my windows box and transfered it to my Linux machine. I put my window's executables in the /home/username/programs/ directory. Then I simply run filezilla under wine, with this command:
wine /home/username/programs/filezilla/filezilla.exe

and filezilla opens and runs fine, with all the settings from my full Windows install intact, except of course for the filepaths for the local startup folders.

Only error I'm seeing is that I can't drag and drop folders, I have to right click then upload or download them.

For now it's a better choice than any other linux ftp client out there, can't wait for the new full native linux filezilla 3.0, should be excellent. As for gftp, krusader, kbear etc, all of them are incomplete, most don't have automatic transfer type detection, ascii/binary, and other annoyances.

When FileZilla Linux comes out with the full 3.0 release, Linux will have one more killer app, alongside the other internet products like Firefox browser and Thunderbird/ Evolution email clients.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I wrote a small shellscript to automatically download the nightly filezilla builds since it's taking a bit longer than I thought it would to get the full 3.0 linux release out. Note: this is not written to run as root, but as normal user.

Download the filezilla installer script. The script has a few features you not want or need, such as creating a kde desktop icon, just comment the add_icon call out if that's the case. As soon as I get the syntax for gnome desktop icon creation I'll add a gnome option, or if anyone has it and the path to it, post it here and I'll add it.

You can also bypass the desktop icon option and/or the symbolic link option by just commenting out their calls, like this:

# icon installer and completion message
if [ $COMPLETE == 'true' ]
then
   #add_icon
   #make_symbolic_link
   echo $BAR
   echo 'Success!! You have now installed the nightly build from '$(date +%Y-%m-%d)
   echo 'Enjoy Filezilla alpha on your Gnu/Linux distribution.'
   echo $BAR
fi

Just download the latest script, then follow the directions below. The script also makes sure that the nightly build downloaded so you don't end up removing your previous build if the current nightly failed to build or failed to download.

NOTE: Sometimes the download file names and paths change, check the filezilla nightly download page for details, or check this page for details if your download doesn't work. Versions are numbered, so make sure your script is the latest version. The path changed as of 0.4.1, so get the newest version if you haven't already done so. The version 4-10-06 and later will also require that you change your local shortcuts and/or links.

This script will also create a /bin directory in your /home/user directory, if you don't have it already, then remove the old filezilla, download the new one, unpack it, and then remove the files.

I saved the downloader script to ~/bin/scripts/fz.sh
In order to make it easier to run the downloader script, the script will ask you if you want to create a symbolic link, getfz, for your normal, not root, user:

# first, set it to be executable by all users:
chmod a+x ~/bin/scripts/fz.sh

Now I can just type getfz in the console and it grabs the latest version.

Setting up a cron job to run this is also simple, that way you always will have the nightly available.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
I have been using this script for a good long time to make it easy to get the latest FileZilla builds. However as of 4/13/2023 or so the format of the download archives from the nightlies site now has changed from .tar.bz2 to .tar.xz compression format.

I have patched the script to make this change and just need a place to upload it for your review and testing before you replace the original.

Cheers!