Linux Modems
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The question of linux modems comes up a lot. The main problem is with the pseudo modems that are currently being sold, they don't have all the modem hardware on them, and so tend to depend on windows software to run, thus the name winmodem.

If you're running linux and want to use a modem, you'll need to do some research. Here's a list of some modems you can use, these are real hardware modems. You can always use a usb or serial port modem of course, but this is good information to have. The site is pretty informative, and has lots of useful links.

Since going external is always the best option, here's a a site where you can buy some for a very good price.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Okay. Why is going external the best option? Keep firmly in mind that I HATE extra "external" things. Speakers, a printer, the camera - that's it. I do NOT want any more "external" bits n pieces....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
From Winmodems are not modems

:: Quote ::
So-called Winmodems, host-based, HCF-, HSP-, HSF-, controllerless, host-controlled, and soft modems require vendor-supplied software to do the work of proper hardware modems. The sale of these devices for x86-based PCs is becoming increasingly popular among retailers and OEMs because of their lower cost.

Some internal pci modems are not winmodems, but it's critical that this is known for a fact before purchasing one. However, all external serial port modems work fine, since they are complete modems by definition. Some pci modems are also complete hardware modems.

I thought these cost more, but they only cost about $20 or less. The problem is even more difficult to deal with on laptops, there it is completely hit or miss if you will get the laptop modem working or not, it's brand by brand, model number by model number.

:: Quote ::
Please remember: if you have a choice, a hardware modem is always the best choice for Linux users. If you have a laptop with a built-in winmodem, though, you'll need a "linmodem" driver.

That can be internal or external. So in your case, given that you used a modem with the full modem hardware chipset you should be fine.

One good method is to use this list of chipsets which are full hardware modems. Then find the current brands that use that chipset. However, keep in mind that these tend to cost more, quite a bit more, although if I find a cheap one I'll post it.
minck
Reply Quote
Nice article. I was about to chime in with the bit 'winmodems slow your system way down since they use on-board components that a real modem is supposed to have', but see from the page that the author had once written that, but retracted it since many motherboards apparently aren't affected much by having to provide some of their own resources, and more and more people are having success with winmodems on Linux.

Some places to look if you are stuck with a winmodem and can't, or are too lazy, to get a real modem:
www.linmodems.org/
www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php - a place a lot of people go to for modem drivers for linux, their driver available for a reasonable $15.