XP right-click Send To opens second copy of app
Robert_Charlton
Reply Quote
I don't know whether this is an XP problem, or an applications problem, or maybe just the way it's supposed to work...

If I use "Send To" (on XP right-click menu) to open, say, a gif or jpeg in Paint Shop Pro, and I already have the application running, instead of simply opening the file within the program, a second copy of app is launched.

If I do the same in say, Adobe Image Ready, one instance of the program opens both files, so I'm guessing it has to do with PaintShop Pro, but PaintShop Pro will open multiple files if I open them from within the program.

Any thoughts?
erikZ
Reply Quote
That sounds like an application problem to me, there's some type of flag inside the paintshop pro that you'd like to say this:
open only one instance of program from external file open request
but which probably says nothing, it's something they didn't consider.

Sometimes if you're lucky programs have configuration files in Windows, and if you're really lucky, the option you want is there. Also, some configuration options are available in the registry, which can be edited.

You'd have to find the applictation in the correct registry hive, I think it's
hkey_local_machine / software
then find paintshop pro, the name it's under usually depends on what company makes it. Sometimes you can actually add registry values, but you have to find that documented before doing it or the program might not work at all.
Robert_Charlton
Reply Quote
erik - Thanks.... Yes, it does seem to be application specific, and there are no configuration settings that I can find. I'm uncomfortable enough with the registry that I'd avoid it for a problem this small.

Photoshop has some quirks too... just different ones. It will open only one instance of the program via right-click, and it does open some jpegs that way, but not all. There are some jpegs that it won't open unless the program is already open and I use File/ Open. Other programs, including PSP, open those jpegs by right click just fine.

Stuff like this can drive you up the wall until you know what to expect, and even then you forget if you don't use these things every day. I sort of expect consistent behavior on basic interface issues. ;-)