vkaryl
Reply Quote
I HATE T'bird, sorry.... I will keep using Mailwasher front-ending IncrediMail; I never open html email, or download attachments....
jeffd
Reply Quote
Thunderbird is getting better, I decided to bite the bullet and switch about 4 months ago, but it's got some problems. However, I've set mine up to more or less exactly duplicate the Outlook Express interface, global inbox is the main change.

The spam blocking component is very good, I did find another open source one for Outlook [thread has setup and dowload info] for a client who asked, but it doesn't work for Outlook Express.

The problem with keeping Outlook Express for most users is that it uses the IE rendering engine, even though with version 6 you can change the default browser that links open up in, which was a 'bug' [I'm sorry, but given MS's history of deliberately engineering their stuff to not allow competitor's programs to properly work, I'll never believe anything like this was a real bug] in pre 6 Outlooke Expresses. I've never found a way to turn off incoming HTML in Outlook Express, although there is this feature, text only, in the new Outlooks, at least in 2003, I'm not sure about the 2002 version.

I've never checked out incredimail, how do you like it?

Why do you hate tbird? I tend to agree that this product should never have been called a 1.0, it isn't nearly ready, there's no comparison between the firefox 1.0 and the tbird 1.0, tbird is around 0.7, maybe 0.5 or 6, it has some core level bugs, but overall I'm starting to think that for average users those bugs will be less problematic than the potential for trojan/viruses Outlook/Outlook Express exposes an uneducated average user to.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
I don't like the global inbox AT ALL. T'Bird never would save rules and apply them properly. I couldn't make it work like I want mail to work (may be better now, but I'm happy with IM and Mailwasher....) Half the time, it would lock up before it ever opened. It didn't want to check ALL my multitudinous accounts without "help".... It just never "fit" right.

I love IM, because I can use "stationery" when I mail a few people (my "alter ego", my sister, my daughter, a cousin), and it never acts silly like OE does. I bought the "money" version because the free one has ads - I will ALWAYS buy whatever it takes to NOT HAVE ADS. Except for Opera which is a piece of cr#p and I'm not paying for it for any reason.

With the Mailwasher front-end, I never have to worry about cr#p. I only allow mail from "known quantities" or when it's from somewhere I "requested" stuff.... everything else goes to gmail or to a slush box on a domain of my own, where it gets deleted eventually....