Article on processor speed / software concurrancy
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Here's an excellent article on current processor development, including a peaking of raw speed, move to dual core, increased cache sizes. The Free Lunch Is Over: A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software. Well worth a read if you're wondering why processor speeds have stopped doubling every 18 months.
:: Quote ::
The major processor manufacturers and architectures, from Intel and AMD to Sparc and PowerPC, have run out of room with most of their traditional approaches to boosting CPU performance. Instead of driving clock speeds and straight-line instruction throughput ever higher, they are instead turning en masse to hyperthreading and multicore architectures. Both of these features are already available on chips today; in particular, multicore is available on current PowerPC and Sparc IV processors, and is coming in 2005 from Intel and AMD. Indeed, the big theme of the 2004 In-Stat/MDR Fall Processor Forum was multicore devices, as many companies showed new or updated multicore processors. Looking back, it’s not much of a stretch to call 2004 the year of multicore.

And that puts us at a fundamental turning point in software development, at least for the next few years and for applications targeting general-purpose desktop computers and low-end servers (which happens to account for the vast bulk of the dollar value of software sold today). In this article, I’ll describe the changing face of hardware, why it suddenly does matter to software, and how specifically it matters to you and is going to change the way you will likely be writing software in the future.

I was wondering when this process would finally end, some people had projected processor speed would max at around 700 megahertz, but they were obviously wrong.

However, we can easily see that in fact processor speed has in fact peaked. Intel has abandoned their 4 gigahertz designs, and AMD is quickly moving to 64 bit single and dual core processors, with ever increasing amounts of L2 cache. Which means more processing per cycle, and quicker data retrieval through larger L2 cache sizes.

I have to say, I'm glad to see this happen, this mindless sprint to the fastest humanly possible sort of reminds me of the late 60's early 70's Detroit muscle car engine size and power arms race, which was finally called off when it began to grow out of hand. Maybe finally some sanity will creep in, we'll see.
tommie j
Reply Quote
nice artical! goes a little beyond my knowledge . i think the idea of the AMD on-die memory controler will be something to build on.- tommie j