Page: Previous  1, 2

jeffd
Reply Quote
In a way it's sad that a class that's supposed to teach 'computer hardware' turns around and doesn't teach it. But I'm sure they got a really good deal on the components, at least I hope they did.

But this does sort of remind me of my first programming class, where after a while it became obvious that the teacher was probably not qualified to either teach programming, or do it.

But budgets tend to be tight, hardware tends to be bought by someone who falls for some sales spiel.

As always, there's a lot of value in seeing how not to do things, but some things are fairly predictable, sad to say.

Except for the power supply, I wouldn't upgrade much, I'd just use it to learn, then go on and make a better thing next time around, maybe sell the one I made to somebody who needs a computer and doesn't want to pay too much, use that money to build a new one, in part at least.
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
In a way it's sad that a class that's supposed to teach 'computer hardware' turns around and doesn't teach it. But I'm sure they got a really good deal on the components, at least I hope they did.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm aware that they're still out there, but this class is teaches Windows 9X setups and configuring DIP switches! (It also covers XP, but it seems more of an afterthought.)

But this does sort of remind me of my first programming class, where after a while it became obvious that the teacher was probably not qualified to either teach programming, or do it.

But budgets tend to be tight, hardware tends to be bought by someone who falls for some sales spiel.

The parts were bought by the assistant dean. He used to be the tech support guy for my campus, so I think he knows a little about things, but his hands are tied by the program administrators who actually decide the curriculum. (i.e. laypeople who know nothing more than how to turn the computer on.)

As always, there's a lot of value in seeing how not to do things, but some things are fairly predictable, sad to say.

Except for the power supply, I wouldn't upgrade much, I'd just use it to learn, then go on and make a better thing next time around, maybe sell the one I made to somebody who needs a computer and doesn't want to pay too much, use that money to build a new one, in part at least.

I think I'll replace the power supply, and maybe do a few tinkers just to make it nice, and keep that as a private computer so I don't have to fight my roomate for the other one.

Anyhow, I got XP Pro installed on the box, and it booted ok, now I just have to make sure the drivers and everything are set up correctly. Shouldn't be too hard, but if you make it idiot-proof, they just go and make a better idiot.

Gotta go for now,

Jason
vkaryl
Reply Quote
In other words, see my sig.... there's a reason I use it! *laughing*
Box is up and semi-running
gayjaybird
Reply Quote
Well, the box is up and running and I'm in the process of adding all the "critical updates" that Big Brother . . . er Microsoft says we need. Anyhow, the question has come up: If you are running a single os machine (Windows only, Linux only, etc.) should you partition the drive or not. Also how big should that partition be?

Thanks again for all the help!

P.S. to the Moderator: If this post would belong better in another forum, please move it.
jeffd
Reply Quote
I always partition hard drives as a matter of good practice. The basic idea is to have at least 2 partitions [for windows installs], the main one should be about 10 gigabytes big, that's for the OS and all the programs you end up adding over time. This is a lot, but when I've used less, it starts getting cramped. 10 gigabytes allows the OS room to breath. Keep in mind that 10 gig makes room for the basic Windows around 3 gig, give or take, the virtual memory swap file, which defaults to 50% larger than your installed ram, plus about 25% free.

A good general rule of thumb is to not fill a partition more than 75-80% full, or else the drive has to start workinig really hard to find room to place new files. 10 gig may seem like a lot when you start, but after a few years all those programs, windows updates, etc, really start adding up. And going in later to resize the partition is not the safest thing to do in the world, I've done it many times, using Partition Magic 6 and 7, that's a pretty good product. You need 7 to resize or work with Windows XP partitions, 6 is fine for Windows 2000.

The second partition is where all the data goes, that includes redirecting the 'my documents' folder to that partition, plus the email storage folder, and whatever other folders you will add data to over time.

The sad thing here is that it is very very easy to partition a drive before installing the OS, but it's kind of a pain, and slightly risky, doing it after you've installed the OS. If you are doing it after, you need to use either Partition Magic, a non-free piece of software, or you can download a linux rescue cd, with partiioning tools built in. You can find links here that give some options. These tools can be hit and miss though.

If you do choose to repartition, it's advisable to run the native windows disk defragmenter:
start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> disk defragmenter before you do the partitioning.

This will put the data all back towards the front of the drive, currently it's going to be scattered all across the drive.

This scattering is one of the big advantages to using 2 partitions. The OS and programs don't have to fight for space with the data, and the data just sits there until you need it.

The other main advantage to partitioning, again, it's always easier to partition during the windows, or linux, install, using the partitioning tools included in the installers, than it is to go back and redo it later. Partitioning always involves the risk of data loss, especially if you are using cheap ram, I've had a full failure in that case. I've never had a failure using quality ram though.

Windows not offering you this option in an obvious way, or as a default, is very annoying, since then people will take these massive drives, upto 400 gigabytes currently, and scatter data all across them. Then when a virus, or some other failure, hits, everything is jumbled together, and you'll usually end up losing everything. If the data is stored in its own partitions, the OS may fail, but all you have to do is reinstall the os, run the backup if you made it to reinstall your software, then relink to the data. This works very well.

There's been an unfortunate trend in LInux lately [hello kanotix and beatrix ] to stop using as default a /home partition,. but rather to shove the whole thing on the / root parition. It's a pain changing the /home directory to a new partition after the fact, that should always be an install option, SUSE, Redhat etc are pretty good about that.

Hope that answers your question.

In case you're wondering, if you didn't partition your current drive, and if you accepted all the default windows installer options, you currently have a single partition on your drive, occupying all of the drive. In linux/ unix lingo, that's hda as the first disk drive, and hda1 as the first partition on your hda drive. So windows is installed on hda1.
Page: Previous  1, 2