[RESOLVED] problems installing linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64
mdmarmer
Reply Quote
Here are some of the errors. I have tried installing the new kernel with your script and also with apt. I don't need the nvidia module. Would it help to remove that first? How should I resolve this? Or is it a timing error like I had about a month ago?

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/535.146.02/build/make.log for more information.
dkms autoinstall on 6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64/x86_64 failed for nvidia-current(10)
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 failed!
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 (--configure):
installed linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-liquorix-amd64:
linux-image-liquorix-amd64 depends on linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 (= 6.7-5.1~sid); however:
Package linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-liquorix-amd64 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-headers-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64
linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64
linux-image-liquorix-amd64

cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d
mdmarmer@mike-81we:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat debian.list
# debian loadbalancer
deb deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb deb.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

#deb-src deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

# deb deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
# deb-src deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

# deb incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd buildd-unstable main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
# deb-src incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd buildd-unstable main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

cat liquorix.list
deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/liquorix-keyring.gpg] liquorix.net/debian sid main
deb-src [arch=amd64 signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/liquorix-keyring.gpg] liquorix.net/debian sid main
damentz
Reply Quote
Can you try the latest kernel?
trying latest kernel didn't work
mdmarmer
Reply Quote
Didn't work. I tried after first removing the kernels this way apt remove linux-headers-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 linux-image-6.7.3-1-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-6.7.3-2-liquorix-amd64 linux-image-6.7.3-2-liquorix-amd64 linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 so that apt install -f did not show any errors or uninstalled packages but it still failed with about the same messages.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Had the same issue as well so purged out 6.7.3-1. Something might have changed between 6.7.2 and 6.7.3 that broke nvidia driver 545 series so awaiting a patch before upgrading kernels.
damentz
Reply Quote
Current release, 6.7-7 / 6.7.3-3 fixes the issue by making some GPL exports non-GPL for nvidia drivers. I'll mark this as resolved.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
I shall give that a try, thanks Damentz!

Always something breaking with nvidia proprietary drivers...

EDIT: Driver now builds successfully with the fixed package and desktop now loads. Thanks!
Possible cause
delamad
Reply Quote
Hi
I also had an issue with installing kernel 6.7.8-1 on a debian bookorm. It is possible there is a common cause.

In my case it comes from a xtrx module, I see your error is related to nvidia which is even closer to the cause I found below.

My search

Searching a bit, I found I had an error with

:: Code ::

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.7.8-1-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/xtrx/0.0.1+git20190320.5ae3a3e-3.2/build/make.log for more information.

I looked at that and found several errors of the following kind:

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.7.8-1-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/xtrx/0.0.1+git20190320.5ae3a3e-3.2/build/make.log for more information.

Looking further, I landed on https://github.com/NVIDIA/gds-nvidia-fs/issues/32[link]
that mentions
:: Quote ::

The source should use vm_flags_set(), etc. to set the vm_flags.

with some more details about why vm fields are now private - starting from kernel 6.4.

Further searches

In my case, the error comes from xtrx, this is a module that the postinstall script tries to build. It manages some software defined radio device.

The file xtrx.c comes from the xtrx-dkms package I have installed, probably as I activated some Soft Defined Radio features.
It can be found in
/usr/src/xtrx-0.0.1+git20190320.5ae3a3e-3.2/xtrx.c

I found it as well in github:[link] here it has a patch to avoid the issue for after 6.4 kernel.

I replaced the files with the newer fixed ones (because no more recent version is available as a package on debian bookworm stable).
The change is around

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(6, 3, 0)
                vma->vm_flags |= VM_LOCKED;
#else
                vm_flags_set(vma, VM_LOCKED);
#endif

I restarted the install and Voilà , it worked.

Regarding the Nvidia case, that might require an update of the related dkms package or updating the faulty source code.

Regards
Delamad