[RESOLVED] MX Linux: 6.6 Liquorix kernels (your repo or MX's rebuilt packages)can't display virtual session terminals in sysvinit session
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
It seems there are workarounds though, and backported 6.6.X Debian kernels still work.

forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=78651

Any thoughts?

Edit: Whoops, seems that the difference is found in the deferred console takeover setting in post 61 of that thread. Is that intentional?

< Edited by stevenpusser :: Jan 14, 24, 20:39 >

damentz
Reply Quote
It is intentional, Liquorix tries to stay in sync with Arch Linux whenever possible despite being available on Debian and Ubuntu.

The point of deferred console takeover is to allow the boot screen from your UEFI BIOS to continue displaying into boot, and to prevent unnecessary initialization of the framebuffer console.

What that said, it's pretty arbitrary and a pick your poison. If one option is aesthetic but breaks specific configurations, it's better to go with the non aesthetic option until they fix it completely. Next release I'll disable deferred takeover and see how things go from there.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply!

Now I am getting reports that the new zstd compressed 6.6.10-3 ports will boot on Bookworm-based MX 23, but not on Bullseye or Buster based releases, though they build using the zstd packages native to that release. Hmmm, I don't know if backporting zstd will help, but I'll give that a try tomorrow.
damentz
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
Now I am getting reports that the new zstd compressed 6.6.10-3 ports will boot on Bookworm-based MX 23, but not on Bullseye or Buster based releases

Ya, when I first enabled compression some time ago, I tried ZSTD first. Older Debian distributions like Bullseye and Buster failed to boot with it. I then switched to XZ to "fix" the issue.

Now, Debian dropped support for XZ compressed kernels [1] on Trixie/Sid, which leaves Liquorix in a bad situation with compression configurations.

I'm not really sure what to do here, Debian only supports _their_ packages and aren't interested in any other possible configuration. To support Bullseye and Buster, I think the best way forward is to add some overrides to the package scripts to replace configurations on the fly if particular releases are detected.

For example:
:: Code ::
scripts/config -e CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_XZ
scripts/config -d CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_ZSTD
scripts/config -e CONFIG_KERNEL_XZ
scripts/config -d CONFIG_KERNEL_ZSTD

And make sure to add comment or references somewhere with links to the Debian bug report mentioned in my commit so we don't get amnesia about this bizarre problem.

[1] github.com/damentz/liquorix-package/commit/3556174a4c6093e021b6b29b02ea888d9bf9d396
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Thanks!

For now, it's not difficult for me to just manually edit the config for the Bullseye and Buster builds to go back to XZ. Certainly not as difficult as it would be for me to come up with the automatic compression setting you mentioned. Maybe simple for someone that knew what they were doing, though!
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
I noticed in rebuilding 6.6-15 for MX, though it's probably been there all this time, a configuration report for the perf tools.
:: Code ::

Makefile.config:978: No libzstd found, disables trace compression, please install libzstd-dev[el] and/or set LIBZSTD_DIR
Makefile.config:1095: No alternatives command found, you need to set JDIR= to point to the root of your Java directory

Auto-detecting system features:
...                                   dwarf: [ on  ]
...                      dwarf_getlocations: [ on  ]
...                                   glibc: [ on  ]
...                                  libbfd: [ OFF ]
...                          libbfd-buildid: [ OFF ]
...                                  libcap: [ on  ]
...                                  libelf: [ on  ]
...                                 libnuma: [ on  ]
...                  numa_num_possible_cpus: [ on  ]
...                                 libperl: [ on  ]
...                               libpython: [ on  ]
...                               libcrypto: [ on  ]
...                               libunwind: [ on  ]
...                      libdw-dwarf-unwind: [ on  ]
...                                    zlib: [ on  ]
...                                    lzma: [ on  ]
...                               get_cpuid: [ on  ]
...                                     bpf: [ on  ]
...                                  libaio: [ on  ]
...                                 libzstd: [ OFF ]

I assume that adding libzstd-dev to the build-deps for Bookworm-based builds would turn that on, but would that make much of a difference?
damentz
Reply Quote
I don't think it'll make a difference, but it's trivial to add libzstd-dev to the dependencies and enable support for compressed ZSTD traces for perf. I'll add that for the next release.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Thanks! It has been confirmed that the latest kernels will boot on Buster and Bullseye after reverting to the xz compression.