[RESOLVED] r8152 driver
Bopp
Reply Quote
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Is there any chance to get a newer driver for the Realtek r8152?

I'm using liquorix version linux-image-6.4.14-1-liquorix-amd64 and the r8152 driver is v1.12.13

This version makes it impossible to reach 2.5Gbps transfer rates in my setup. Installing the latest driver from https://github.com/wget/realtek-r8152-linux/ fixes the issue.

Unfortunately I don't know much about linux drivers, and if it's even related to the kernel package. All I know is that before upgrading to v2.17.1 it was maxing out at 1Gbps, and after upgrading it can use the full 2.5Gbps.

Thanks!
damentz
Reply Quote
Hi Bopp,

The r8152 driver you're linking to is Realtek's out-of-tree driver. It's completely different than the in-kernel variation.

It's not clear to me why Realtek did this to themselves, but their driver is available as a DKMS driver. Someone has already flagged the AUR package to get it updated for 2.17.1: aur.archlinux.org/packages/r8152-dkms

As for being on a Debian/Ubuntu base, I'm not sure what your options are to backport the latest version.

If you have the ability to buy a separate network card, I recommend you get one based on an Intel chipset. But unfortunately, I did some research to see what your options were if you used a USB dongle, and the majority of all devices are using the R8156B chipset for 2.5gbps, which uses the r8152 driver (both in-kernel and out-of-tree DKMS). You'll have to upgrade to 5 or 10gbps to get hardware generously supported by in-kernel Linux drivers.
Bopp
Reply Quote
Hi damentz,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I am indeed using a USB dongle and upgrading to 5 or 10 gbps isn't really an option, as it would exceed the bandwidth of my docking station.

I took your advice and looked at dkms modules, which led me to this project: `https://github.com/awesometic/realtek-r8152-dkms` . I was able to build and install the dkms module after updating r8152.c to support kernel >=6.4.10
damentz
Reply Quote
Great, sounds like you were able to figure it out from the official repo. I'll close this out as resolved.