KDE kiod5 breaks mtp for other fools
techAdmin
Reply Quote
While trying to resolve an mtp mount issue, i installed kio-extras to see if I could use Dolphin instead of thunar, which proved to be a serious mistake.

bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=412257

If you note how that bug was handled, first, it fails to deal with the real bugs in kde's mtp handler, which continuously dropped the mtp connection, making for a very unpleasant experience in Dolphin, which I do not normally use.

One thing that struck me is that Dolphin has no obvious way to unmount drives, thus freeing them for th rest of the system.

Further, I also noted that when kiod had the mtp connection, the phone would constantly drop the connection, which is very annoying as well.

Luckily the short term solution is to kill kiod5, which then allows for example thunar to work again with mtp, and work much better, I might add. The phone also stopped it's incessant dropping of the mtp connection, which made me unable to know if the cable was bad or not.

I uninstalled kio-extras, after killing the kiod5 and everything suddenly started working fine again.

Another bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=261172 thread noted that you might have issues using a USB 3 pc connection to the phone's usb 2 C connection, so that's also worth looking at I think, i fyou have a true usb 2 connection, use it, that might help too.

After doing this, all the annoying glitches went away, and things 'just worked' again.

But what is somewhat disturbing is the inabilty of the kde devs to admit there was a and clearly still remains a series of bugs with how they are doing mtp listening/actions with kio. But this is why I don't use KDE anymore, something fundamental changed in their developer community, so I find it nicer to just use something else. Not saying anything against kde, I just find gnu linux free desktop experience for me is nicer with something like xfce and smaller cleaner tools that don't try to do too much with clearly too few developer man-hours/resources.

And this doesn't get into the broken drag/drop functionality of Dolphin, which fails to do simple things like clearly highlight the directory you are dragging into, leaving you to guess each time if the files/directories would go where you wanted them to go, or go one level up. I ended up, before giving up on Dolphin totally, copying the item/itmes, and then explicitly pasting them into the target directory, which apears to be the only way to do it, but feels like I stepped back 2 decades in functionality.

Stuff like this when I run into it makes me wonder if the devs actually even use the stuff, or if they have, like Apple users, simply adapted their use patterns to the inadequacies of the programs.