Gimp color picker broken
techAdmin
Reply Quote
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/8061

:: Quote ::
I removed xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk packages and logged out.

Just posting this as a quick fix reminder. Note that the gimp devs here in a somewhat sadly typical redhat manner at first refused to admit that there was anything wrong with breaking this feature for most of their users, the ones using xorg that is, while pretending that xorg is just one among many possible scenarios, which is absurd, wayland is still struggling and is not likely to be default for many years to come in real use, though it is coming now installed as standard default, which does not then translate to users actually staying with it.

This issue has finally and I believe correctly been resolved in 2.10.34 release, and is still an issue with 2.10.32.

Note that the somewhat windows style advice to either reboot or shutdown desktop is not required once you remove those packages, what is required is to kill their processes with kill after you get the process ids.

Do that after closing gimp.

Gimp's color picker still is annoying and non intuitive in that there are far too many scenarios where it does not work the way it should, which, is, open it from fore/background color boxes, and change them, period.

However, this fix, which should never have been required since this all worked untll they broke it for wayland support, is in that type of junior/beginner/corporate software developer that simply doesn't know how to do elementary cascading tests, which are transparent to end user, and because their employers has decided wayland is default, even though for I'd say most linux users, it's not, they offered that as an excuse.

This is the bane of free software, sad to say, but it's a necessary evil I think, since corporations have to contribute too, even if if they use their own weird internal cultures and ideas to do that, but it's better than no contribution I think in the larger picture.

But still something painfully familiar, like when some years back a redhat gtk dev when people commented on the non stable api being a big problem for other desktops, that dev was surprised, and literally didn't even know there were other desktops. That's what comes out of hiring out of college non hackers, and is also of course the NIH syndrome.