Page: 1, 2  Next

[RESOLVED] Why is there a "0" in the middle of the kernel version?
Nobodyin
Reply Quote
This extra zero messes up the order of my most recent kernels during boot. I know it is no big deal to some people but can we get rid of it?
damentz
Reply Quote
It's a holdover from the 2.6.NN kernel versioning. When Linus removed the dot notation, it broke Debian's kernel package. I tried removing it myself at some point and ran into issues, but maybe it's worth trying again.

In-fact, I checked how Siduction is doing their kernels and they've been able to remove the dot zero: liquorix.net/siduction/extra/pool/main/l/linux-siduction/. I'll dig into their kernel package this weekend and see how hard it would be to fix.
Nobodyin
Reply Quote
Thank you. XanMod kernels manage to not have the extra zero but I prefer to use Liquorix.
damentz
Reply Quote
Next release will include the change below:
github.com/damentz/liquorix-package/commit/0ed0f30d8f1e1d081567d899b77bcf94ba7acc93

Some history, the change was put in over 8 years ago, 3 years after kernel 3.0 came out. A single user using proprietary software reported a bug about their software crashing because the kernel version was 2 digits instead of 3.

As far as I know, it's rare to come across software that misbehaves for the number of digits, but Debian rarely takes risk by reverting changes like these.
damentz
Reply Quote
Latest release has the zero stripped off. Let me know if you run into any issues with software compatibility.

I'll leave this thread open for about a week and mark it as RESOLVED if there's no issues.
Nobodyin
Reply Quote
I can verify that the zero is gone but the order is still not quite right.

menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 6.1.7-x64v3-xanmod1' --class linuxmint
menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 6.1.0-7.2-liquorix-amd64' --class linuxmint
menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 6.1-8.1-liquorix-amd64' --class linuxmint
menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 5.15.0-58-generic' --class linuxmint

The first "-" instead of a "." is still messing up the order but I like it better.
damentz
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
The first "-" instead of a "." is still messing up the order but I like it better.

I'll take a look at that next. The objective here was to revert a change that Debian made exactly so that we're in another known working state for the kernel package. Now that I know that works and there's no issues, I'll take a stab at moving the dashes and dots around so it looks better.

For example, we should easily get it to say: menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 6.1.8-1-liquorix-amd64' --class linuxmint
damentz
Reply Quote
Ok, a new version of the kernel out that codes the version properly, you should see 6.1.8-2 as the version, with the -2 being the package version.
Nobodyin
Reply Quote
Thank you. It works now. This is a summary of my grub.cfg file:

menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 6.1.8-x64v3-xanmod1'
menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 6.1.8-2-liquorix-amd64'
menuentry 'Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 5.15.0-58-generic'

BTW, do you have any influence with the grub maintainers? I have a
suggestion to make the submenus of the distros found by os-prober
look better when using custom themes. Thanks.
mhalano
Reply Quote
I still didn't test the latest package to check how the numbering are working, but I really like the "6.1.8-2" because it's align with the published kernel versions. Congrats.
Page: 1, 2  Next