Compiler error while installing the kernel
Ant_222
Reply Quote
Hello, all.

I observe the following error message while installing the Liquorix kernel in antiX Linux, v. 22, which is based on Debian:
:: Code ::
Building module:
cleaning build area...
'make' -j4 KVER=6.0.0-13.2-liquorix-amd64 USER_MODULE_NAME=rtl8821ce

CONFIG_RTW_DEBUG=n......(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.0.0-13.2-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821ce/5.5.2.1/build/make.log for more information.
Setting up linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 (6.0-11.1~bullseye) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+deb11u4) ...

[INFO ] Liquorix kernel installed successfully

Is it by design that in spite of the make error the process does not abort but finishes successfully? The exact error in make.log is:
:: Code ::
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821ce/5.5.2.1/build/core/rtw_sreset.o
/var/lib/dkms/rtl8821ce/5.5.2.1/build/core/rtw_br_ext.c:20:11: fatal error: net/ipx.h:

No such file or directory
   20 |  #include <net/ipx.h>
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

May I safely ignore it and use the kernel with confidence?
damentz
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
May I safely ignore it and use the kernel with confidence?

I'm assuming you installed this DKMS package because you need the hardware enablement. When the module fails to build, it won't be available to you to support the hardware it's for.

Now, why it fails to build is because the package isn't compatible with kernel 6.0 (and newer). On August 2022, support was added: github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce/commit/c3aa2e653c19a7c6bf7dd6e66967189038a76e82

If you need the package updated, I recommend reaching out on the AntiX forums. Maybe they can backport the latest updates or pressure upstream Debian to provide an update for you.
Ant_222
Reply Quote
No, I did not explicitly install that package. All I did was intall the Liquorix kernel according to the instructions and expected a clean setup. Since my network works, I do not need it and will leave it at that. Thank you. The user-friendly message would explain that it was an error in such-and-such optional package, which will not be included in the kernel, but I suppose the majority of Liquorix users are more experieced that I and do not require such explanations.