configure / compile kernel for latency-performance (tuned adm style)
infamainious
Reply Quote
I need the cpu frequency at 100% max and constantly available for latency/cpu sensitive workloads. Typically, i'd use tuned-adm and call it a day but im on openrc and dont plan on using systemd, which tuned-adm is based on. I tried setting _makemenuconfig=y and hoping to find a full premptive RT model but nope. Any suggestions? My only other option is to compile a https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/preempt_rt_versions with the full premptive model, but im on the artix distro and the only available kernels are zen, linux stable, and most recently lqx.
damentz
Reply Quote
Well first of all, Liquorix defaults to the performance governor, which leaves your CPU at 100%. This doesn't allow maximum boosting at all times though, that's handled in the CPU hardware with information from motherboard on VRM.

As for preempt RT, I don't recommend going down that route. It requires a lot of invasive kernel patches and it's incompatible with most out-of-tree kernel modules. A good example is the proprietary nvidia driver, you can look at this recent thread for more information: forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-driver-bug-scheduling-while-atomic-for-preempt-rt-kernel-on-rtx3060-gpu/233400
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
I couldn't tell if you were already aware of this, but "lqx" is the Liquorix kernel: aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-lqx

I think it likely that an RT kernel PKGBUILD for Arch already exists, too.