[RESOLVED] Where can I find the newest firmware
expat72
Reply Quote
Hello fellow liquorixers,

I have debian sid and installed liquorix kernel, but now I have a lot of missing firmwares. I tried from the latest kernel sources to copy into /lib/firmware/amdgpu but I still have plenty of missing. Tried to find it somewhere without success.
Can anybody help me? point me to the right source since I tried many hours copied about 500 files into the amdgpu directory but still not sufficient.

all the best
damentz
Reply Quote
Are you impacted by this "missing" firmware? Your initramfs will say that you're missing a lot of firmware, but unless you're impacted, you can safely ignore.

If for some reason your firmware package is too old, you can always fetch the latest from git here: git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/

However, just understand you'll be replacing files owned by your firmware package and that might cause issues with your package manager.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
The firmware tree even comes with a Makefile that you can "sudo make install" to update them.

To get around the August 2021 age of even the Sid firmware packages, I've been porting over Ubuntu's monolithic "linux-firmware" packages for MX Linux, which are recent git pulls, but smush all the free and non-free stuff together into one big schmeer.
damentz
Reply Quote
:: stevenpusser wrote ::
The firmware tree even comes with a Makefile that you can "sudo make install" to update them.

To get around the August 2021 age of even the Sid firmware packages, I've been porting over Ubuntu's monolithic "linux-firmware" packages for MX Linux, which are recent git pulls, but smush all the free and non-free stuff together into one big schmeer.

Wow! I didn't know that Debian had a problem with firmware packaging. It seems oddly negligent considering the Debian team continue to develop the kernel package for all versions of Debian (including sid and experimental): salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux

If there's a link with instructions of how to adopt this alternative firmware package, feel free to post it here. Any other Debian users following Testing and up may find it useful if they find the firmware package packaged with Debian today too old.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Ahh, I double-checked, and they've finally started updating the firmware upstream in Debian again. For more than a year, they were stuck at 20210813 releases.

Good, I can backport those packages for MX AHS. I was never really happy with the Ubuntu approach of mixing free and non-free firmware into one huge blob.

packages.debian.org/source/bookworm/firmware-nonfree