X server don't start
fredd
Reply Quote
Hello,

fisrt I'm not a tech at all. I have a 2009 4,1 Mac Pro falshed to 5.1 with a AMD Radeon HD 7970 3 Go GPU.

I'm a musician and I wanted to install AV Linux MX that has a liquorix kernel.

I couldn't install the distro on the mac cause the X server didn't start, blask screen after the grub invite to start from the USB key.

So I used a Vaio laptop with a Nvidia card to install the distro on a SSD. reboot after install, works fine.

I put the ssd back in the Mac Pro -> grub ok -> and... black screen after booting.

No contact for the AV linux MX maintainer but a link to Linux musician forums. I registered there but never received the activation link. That's why I post here.

Of course I have experienced othe distros on this mac like Mint, and mint plus Kx studio (low latency kernel as well) and X was startin'. But I experienced other problems with the audio config, that's why I wanted to give AV lInux a try.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx a lot
techAdmin
Reply Quote
This isn't a Liquorix issue.

How random distros handle setting up their X server and drivers isn't predictable or knowable by a kernel project.

You could show:

inxi -baz

after updating inxi to current just to give an idea of what that macbook is running as hardware, but overall, it's going to be an Intel cpu and in your case, an amd unknown generation graphics device, which will be running I think radeon driver.

inxi -baz will show what drivers are actually running, so that's the first thing you want to show.

Again, this is not a liquorix issue, you aren't going to be running a non free driver, at least I hope you aren't, and it's not new hardware, so it's probably an xorg configuration or default issue, or you're just missing the driver.

This is a generic issue, just post on MX forums, but make sure to include inxi -baz when you do so they know what is going on.
fredd
Reply Quote
ok thanx for your answer