[RESOLVED] [Request] amd64 build of linux-liquorix 5.15-22ubuntu1~focal in ubuntu focal RELEASE
Danwilkins
Reply Quote
Hi all,

I am trying to find a particular old release of liquorix kernel for Ubuntu focal OS. In past, I have used launchpad to success but I am unable to find following files there:

linux-headers-5.15.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal_amd64.deb (11.3 MiB)
linux-image-5.15.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal_amd64.deb (60.7 MiB)

As you can see from the following built page on launchpad, the releases are missing:

https://launchpad.net/~damentz/+archive/ubuntu/liquorix/+build/23106889

I have also looked up the github release section, where most authors usually upload built binaries, but there is only source code of this particular release:

https://github.com/damentz/liquorix-package/releases/tag/5.15-22

I would build them myself if I knew the process. I will really appreciate if someone can share these here, or help me build them.

Regards,
Dan
Danwilkins
Reply Quote
I searched around this forum and found following instructions

:: Quote ::
git clone --branch=5.15/master https://github.com/damentz/liquorix-package.git
cd liquorix-package/scripts/debian

# generate build ready docker images with your default gpg key and
# download the linux base archive if missing
./docker_bootstrap.sh

# make source package
./docker_build-source.sh ubuntu focal

# build binary packages and store in archive directory
./docker_build-binary.sh amd64 ubuntu focal

I am able to complete ./docker_bootstrap.sh step successfully. But when I execute the "./docker_build-source.sh ubuntu focal", I get following error:

[INFO ] Making source package
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package linux-liquorix
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 5.15-22ubuntu1~focal
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution focal
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Steven Barrett <steven@liquorix.net>
dpkg-source --before-build .
dpkg-source: info: using options from linux-liquorix/debian/source/options: --compression=xz --compression-level=3
dpkg-source: info: using patch list from debian/patches/series
dpkg-source: info: applying zen/v5.15.18-lqx1.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying debian/version.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying debian/uname-version-timestamp.patch
dpkg-source: info: applying debian/kernelvariables.patch
debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
rm -rf debian/build debian/stamps debian/lib/python/debian_linux/*.pyc debian/lib/python/debian_linux/__pycache__ $(find debian -maxdepth 1 -type d -name 'linux-*') debian/*-modules-*-di* debian/kernel-image-*-di* debian/xen-linux-system-*
dh_clean
dpkg-source -b .
dpkg-source: info: using options from linux-liquorix/debian/source/options: --compression=xz --compression-level=3
dpkg-source: info: using source format '3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but Maintainer: does not have Ubuntu address
dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but there is no XSBC-Original-Maintainer field
dpkg-source: info: building linux-liquorix using existing ./linux-liquorix_5.15.orig.tar.xz
dpkg-source: info: using patch list from debian/patches/series
dpkg-source: info: building linux-liquorix in linux-liquorix_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal.debian.tar.xz
dpkg-source: info: building linux-liquorix in linux-liquorix_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal.dsc
dpkg-genbuildinfo --build=source
dpkg-genchanges --build=source >../linux-liquorix_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal_source.changes
dpkg-genchanges: info: not including original source code in upload
dpkg-source --after-build .
dpkg-source: info: unapplying debian/kernelvariables.patch
dpkg-source: info: unapplying debian/uname-version-timestamp.patch
dpkg-source: info: unapplying debian/version.patch
dpkg-source: info: unapplying zen/v5.15.18-lqx1.patch
dpkg-buildpackage: info: binary and diff upload (original source NOT included)
signfile linux-liquorix_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal.dsc
gpg: skipped "Steven Barrett <steven@liquorix.net>": No secret key
gpg: dpkg-sign.cJOOyKFk/linux-liquorix_5.15-22ubuntu1~focal.dsc: clear-sign failed: No secret key

dpkg-buildpackage: error: failed to sign .dsc file

I will really appreciate pointers on how this error could be addressed.
Danwilkins
Reply Quote
I got around this error by using -uc -us flags inside the build script which had the dpkg-buildpackage line. Basically it lets you proceed with unsigned package instead of error:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/927160/signing-package-with-dpkg-buildpackage-fails-but-succeeds-with-debsign
damentz
Reply Quote
Ah yep, sorry for the late response. Those are the right commands to run. The scripts assume you have a default GPG key defined, so manually adding -uc -us works in absence of that.

This reminds me I need to add some documentation so anyone who needs to build a previous version has the ability to do so. I think this is better than carrying around old binaries since the distribution core packages may have changed since the binary was created, and a new one will be more compatible than the old one.

Did this get you a working kernel?
Danwilkins
Reply Quote
No worries. It actually helped me learn few things :)

I already had a default key configured inside ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf but somehow that was not enough. Took me some time and lot of googling before I narrowed it down. I am building it on a spare VPS which is underpower from the looks of it. It is still compiling (drivers now i think) and I am confident that this will work. Will update once its finished
Danwilkins
Reply Quote
So after completing first 02 steps, I moved onto the last, i.e. "./docker_build-binary.sh amd64 ubuntu focal". I initially had one running on a VPS which was taking ages, and I couldn't wait, so I decided to do it in parallel on a dedicated server. Shortly after that, VPS one ended up with the following error:

drivers/net/team/team_mode_loadbalance.mod.c:33:1: fatal error: closing dependency file drivers/net/team/.team_mode_loadbalance.mod.o.d: No space left on device
33 | MODULE_INFO(srcversion, "88C93B99D0E7E923E959ADC");
| ^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [/build/linux-liquorix-5.15/scripts/Makefile.modfinal:29: drivers/net/team/team_mode_loadbalance.mod.o] Error 1
make[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/tmp/ccABFZTl.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccABFZTl.s: Fatal error: can't write 154 bytes to section .modinfo of drivers/net/team/team_mode_broadcast.mod.o: 'No space left on device'
/tmp/ccABFZTl.s: Fatal error: can't close drivers/net/team/team_mode_broadcast.mod.o: No space left on device
make[5]: *** [/build/linux-liquorix-5.15/scripts/Makefile.modfinal:29: drivers/net/team/team_mode_broadcast.mod.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [/build/linux-liquorix-5.15/scripts/Makefile.modpost:140: __modpost] Error 2
make[3]: *** [/build/linux-liquorix-5.15/Makefile:1790: modules] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/build/linux-liquorix-5.15/debian/build/build_amd64_none_liquorix-amd64'
make[2]: *** [debian/rules.real:141: debian/stamps/build_amd64_none_liquorix-amd64] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/build/linux-liquorix-5.15'
make[1]: *** [debian/rules.gen:22: build-arch_amd64_none_liquorix-amd64_real] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/build/linux-liquorix-5.15'
make: *** [debian/rules:33: build-arch] Error 2

This doesnt make sense as VPS still had 300+GBs spare.

However, the dedicated one continued fine and when I thought I will finally have the packages, it ended up with following unsigned error again:

dpkg-buildpackage: error: failed to sign .dsc file

I thought I had taken care of the unsigned error with -uc -us flags in 2nd step, but I was wrong. As it turns out, the last step also uses the same dpkg-buildpackage, which is inside 'container_build-binary.sh' script, so those flags are needed again. I am in the middle of another build due to this.

During all this time, my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf had been configured with default-key, without which the first step is impossible to complete. Apparently for last 02 steps, the build scripts expect the secret key of ""Steven Barrett <steven@liquorix.net>": No secret key" instead of whats available.
Danwilkins
Reply Quote
I was finally able to build the .deb files. Here are all the files:

https://mega.nz/folder/9dNBkRrS#oFQuchkOv2PfcarJWXF0UQ

Edit: The files worked! Thank you Steven for providing us with an amazing kernel <3