ACS Override
atton
Reply Quote
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash kvm.ignore_msrs=1 amd_iommu=on vfio-pci.ids=1002:67df:1682:9587,1002:aaf0:1682:aaf0,10ec:8168:1462:7b79 pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction"

Under 5.4.0-107-generic, the line above functions to isolate the devices desired in grub. However when I switch over to the Liqorix Kernel the isolation breaks down. Hence I am left with the question how does one fix this problem and allow isolation of these pci-e devices.
damentz
Reply Quote
ACS override support is included with Liquorix and Zen Kernel. It appears that the patch we apply no longer works and needs changes:

github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/commit/733b70b1a0747215a152e88073b7f49330d09296

Unfortunately, the original developer of the patch hasn't rebased the patch since 5.10.4: gitlab.com/Queuecumber/linux-acs-override/-/blob/master/workspaces/5.10.4/acso.patch
gitlab.com/Queuecumber/linux-acs-override/-/commit/142cdc461be35ed351fa00faa11492abc918347f

If you have a newer source for this patch, maybe a modified version by Ubuntu or Fedora, we can update our patch to a working version.

EDIT: It appears that this patch is only needed on hardware that doesn't support ACS properly: www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/bvif8d/official_reason_why_acs_override_patch_is_not_in/

Maybe a new motherboard, bios update, or configuration can allow what you're trying to do without this patch?
damentz
Reply Quote
And finally, it looks like I might be right. A good motherboard doesn't require the ACS override patch: www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/ios4dx/can_i_use_amd_without_acs_override_patch/
atton
Reply Quote
"IMPORTANT NOTICE It has come to my attention that the patches maintained here have been included in the Zen/Liquorix kernel. This project has more resources than myself and the kernel itself has more features which would be of interest to ACSO users. In light of this I am retiring this project. If something should change with the status of the ACSO patch in that kernel, please use #12 to let me know and I will consider reviving the project."
https://queuecumber.gitlab.io/linux-acs-override/
damentz
Reply Quote
Yes, I'm not sure why he retired the project. He's the author of the patch, we just included it. Without a patch maintainer, the patch will probably stop working due to changes in newer kernels, so we'll probably need to pull it out.

EDIT: He's not the author but was forward porting the patches, probably testing. This looks like the best source for the latest version of the patch: aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/add-acs-overrides.patch?h=linux-vfio. It is identical to what's already in Zen Kernel, but with a good commit message.

< Edited by damentz :: May 1, 22, 8:42 >

damentz
Reply Quote
atton, can you confirm if any other kernel with the ACS override patch works? In the AUR, there's the linux-vfio package with the identical patch we're using in Zen Kernel.

I see that you're using Ubuntu though so you'd need to reinstall in order to test. I'm not aware of any other kernels for Ubuntu with this patch added.
atton
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
atton, can you confirm if any other kernel with the ACS override patch works? In the AUR, there's the linux-vfio package with the identical patch we're using in Zen Kernel.

I see that you're using Ubuntu though so you'd need to reinstall in order to test. I'm not aware of any other kernels for Ubuntu with this patch added.
https://queuecumber.gitlab.io/linux-acs-override/
It would appear they still release kernels
damentz
Reply Quote
The last kernel released is for 5.12.2, about a year ago.