inxi Weather - "Your access to this resource has been blocked"
izea
Reply Quote
Unaware of what I was doing, I seem to have "abused" the -W flag of inxi to request weather forecast, which has got me "blocked" from accessing the resource. I need to state I'm rather a newbie to GNU/Linux, so I was following a tutorial that mentioned this feature about inxi and I thought it would be cool to have it in my terminal so I went adding its command to my ~/.bashrc file for weather data updated there every time I launched it. It was "cool" indeed :facepalm: and it worked for some days (and I felt less a newbie in having accomplished that), but since yesterday this is the only output it seems I will ever(?) be getting on calling inxi with the -W flag again.

:: Quote ::
Weather:
Message: Error: Your access to this resource has been blocked. Automated
requests or excessive use are not permitted. This is clearly stated in both
the help menu and man page. If you want a CLI weather tool for routine
use, try wttr.in, or use a weather widget. Remember, you never had a
"right" to this feature, it was just a little easter egg, mostly for sys
admins, which has instead been consistently abused. If you want to know
your local weather, look out your window, there it is.

I'm really sorry I hadn't read neither the inxi help menu nor its man page. I was just following steps on a tutorial that didn't mention any of this. I didn't have any intention to "abuse" anything, nor was I aware of being doing so.

I'm not sure if posting my situation in this forum can lead to my "access blocked" removal, but I hope I have a chance for that, since I have taken action on my side to stop automating those requests; i.e. the inxi command is not anymore in my ~/.bashrc file, of course, and thanks to the Message I have started learning on the possibilities of "curl wttr.in" instead. I didn't know about that site, it's very nice what it can do and I thank you for pointing me at that.

Since this ocurred, I seriously don't intend to ever use "inxi -W" again, not automated, of course, neither manually, but honestly, I'm posting this here because I feel a bit stupid a user (for having caused this) and it would help that having my "access blocked" removed. I would really appreciate that.

As a final thought and suggestion perhaps; late though, I ended up reading the "man inxi" page (I wish I had done that before!), and found it does in fact says there:

:: Quote ::
DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE FOR AUTOMATED WEATHER UPDATES! Automated or excessive use will lead to your being blocked from any further access.
This feature is not meant for widget type weather monitoring, or Conky type use. It is meant to get weather when you need to see it, for
example, on a remote server. If you did not type the weather option in manually, it's an automated request.

While that's pretty precise and explicit defining "automated", can we agree it's rather imprecise and completely open to subjective interpretation what the definition of "excessive" for the package's authors may be? Perhaps, it would avoid triggering this situation for future naive users (like I was) to have a sort of "new weather requests cooldown time" implemented in the source code of the package itself (and also have it there in the man page how long that cooldown time would be) or some sort of request connection allowance/rejection in the server providing this tiny weather data transaction, so that naive users won't accidentally incur in what will be labeled "excessive" use?

Thanks for your attention and your kindness.
izea
Reply Quote
Nevermind. Issue closed on the inxi Github with tags "Invalid" and "Feature-not-a-bug": [link]