New install of Liqorix on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS results in hard lockup after reboot at lowest resolution on one monitor.
IOcase
Reply Quote
I'm installing the Liquorix kernel on my machine and was following a guide for it [link]. Upon successful install I rebooted my machine and was met with a single monitor (other 2 were black) and the resolution was what I'm assuming is a fallback resolution around 400 to 600 pixels or something. Also the keyboard and mouse were totally locked up and unresponsive.

I've searched around for similar issues but the search results are absolutely flooded with unrelated answers and less than helpful tangentially related problems. I just want Liquorix on my machine... I'm using my old kernel for now and everything is running fine.

I tried this once before with similar results but just gave up. There was a problem with the NVIDIA drivers if memory serves me (currently on the NVIDIA 470 drivers.) This time it looked like everything went off without a hitch. The install was completely successful until the reboot.

Linux NAME-ubuntu 5.11.0-40-generic #44~20.04.2-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
damentz
Reply Quote
So first of all, Liquorix is a rolling released kernel and Ubuntu is a frozen pool repository (major versions of software or out-of-tree kernel modules are not updated for 6 months at a time, 2 years for LTS). The nvidia driver is prone to breakage between each kernel release, released every 3 months, which is probably why you can't see anything.

I recommend you install the Proprietary GPU Drivers PPA and install the latest nvidia driver available and try again. Worst case, switching to a rolling release distribution based on Arch Linux will, for the most part, permanently resolve this issue.

GPU Driver PPA: launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
IOcase
Reply Quote
Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on the graphics driver since I upgraded recently from 460 to 470 but I could be wrong. I'll have to give arch a try this week then.