[RESOLVED] Intel Turbo Boost - issue
rooots
Reply Quote
Hi all,

this is a rather general issue affecting lqx as well and I would like to understand the 'why'.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 with various kernels (5.14.0-17.1-liquorix-amd64, stock 5.15.1-051501) and it seems that load dependent Turbo Boost is not working properly with my 11900k and 12900k.

In BIOS, if I set per-core boost multipliers to let's say 1-core 54x, 2-core 54x, 3-core 53x.... 8-core 51, then no matter how high or low the load I will only see a maximum frequency of 5100 MHz even if using a load that is only running single-threaded. Comparing this to Win10 for example, when running a single-threaded benchmark or light loads, the CPU will boost to the expected 5400 MHz. To see if any load balancing is the reason I tried to pin a thread to a certain core which appears to be working nicely, but still this core only sees a maximum of 5100 MHz even if all other cores are more or less idle.

Any ideas on what the problem could be would be much appreciated!

< Edited by rooots :: Nov 8, 21, 6:56 >

rooots
Reply Quote
Solved - it was my mistake. I had C-States disabled in the kernel command line - after removing that entry the CPU boosts as expected.

Cheers,
r.