Linux Mint shutdown problem
User77
Reply Quote
Hi,
There was no problem with the Liquorix 5.14.0-9.4, but after installing the 5.14.0-9.5 my LM 20.1 gets stuck when turning off. I can see the LM logo and nothing happens. If I press the ESC I can see the console display with many lines of shutdown process, the last 3 lines are these:
[OK] Reached target final step
[OK] Finished power-off
[OK] Reached target power-off
But it doesn't turn off. Can you fix this? Thanks

Addition:
I've loaded the Liquorix 5.14.0-9.4 from the grub menu, but the problem was the same.
(But, as I wrote, when the 5.14.0-9.4 was the latest/current version - before updating to 9.5 - everything was OK.)
I have uninstalled the Liquorix kernels and reverted to the distro's 5.11.0-37-generic kernel and everything is OK again.
So, I am sure the problem has been caused by the Liquorix 5.14.0-9.5 kernel.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
First, you need to show data:
:: Code ::
inxi -bxz

otherwise nobody knows what your hardware etc is.

It's not necessarily an issue with liquorix, it could just be with the 5.14.0-9.5 kernel introduces issues for your specific hardware setup. I hit suspend issues on various kernel versions all the time, and they are usually related to the kernel version, not liquorix, I just wait until the issues are resolved, then update the kernel again. The ideal in this scenario is to also try a non liquorix 5.14.0-9.5 kernel, and see if that manifests the same issue, if it does, it's a core kernel issue related to your specific hardware, if it doesn't, then yes, it's probably related to liquorix patchset itself.

There's no law that says you must always run the latest kernel, even when it has technical issues for your specific hardware, in fact, Patrick Volkerding, the long time maintainer of Slackware, calls new kernels 'sucker kernels' because of the tendency to use them as bug catchers, he prefers the kernel versions where most of the new bugs and regressions have been caught and corrected.

I see this issue all the time over years of running newer kernels, and I always just roll back to the last one without issues and wait for a few kernel releases for the issues to get resolved, trying newer kernels once in a while to see if the suspend/resume issues have been corrected.
User77
Reply Quote
Thank you