Liquorix LTS.
gsus
Reply Quote
Hi, is posible to provide an LTS liquorix? (in this case 5.10).
That because to not break to frecuent the tipical external modules like virtualbox or nvidia.
I used to liquorix kernel in my workstation but due to broke modules I back to standard kernel.

regards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The only way LTS is possible if YOU do the work. A guy did that for a few distros for several years, and that happened because he did the work. It's not reasonable to expect damentz to do this work since it involves bugs appearing that cannot be diagnosed or fixed.

The entire point of Liquorix is to be a current kernel, so your use case is exactly why you should NOT be using Liquorix, but rather a stable packaged distro kernel. If you always want often prone to break kernel modules to always work, you'll want to be using something like Debian stable or Ubuntu LTS kernels and modules.

So short answer, yes, it's possible, if and only if you do the work, all of it. Nobody else wants to spend their time doing it, so that's how it goes. Also, lts is just not compatible with the concept of liquorix in the first place, if it doesn't meet your needs, don't use it.
damentz
Reply Quote
I think techAdmin said it well, Liquorix for the most part is the opposite of LTS. Not to mention, most of the new features coming out I integrate into Liquorix are incompatible with LTS; developers don't spend time porting new code to old kernels. Literally by its design and target audience, almost zero LTS kernel users want new features because that means more things that can break.

If you depend on a lot of DKMS modules that break on a routine basis, I recommend you switch to a rolling release distribution like Arch. Without you specifying, most likely you're trying to also run a stable version of Ubuntu or Debian. Both distributions only make sure their DKMS modules work with their kernels. They don't care about mainline or third party kernels, so you're on your own as soon as you escape the walled garden. Arch on the other hand encourages that ecosystem.

So ironically, the conversation has come full circle; Liquorix should not have an LTS variant, you should switch to a distribution that makes it easy to run Liquorix. If you want something familiar like Ubuntu, I recommend Manjaro. If you're adventurous, check out Garuda (already runs Zen Kernel by default).
gsus
Reply Quote
Thanks for the answer. I understand

regards