KDE plasmashell freezes
Skolo
Reply Quote
Since a few days ago my plasma desktop freezes frequently (x11 sessions). Keyboard works normal so i can switch to tty. I can't be sure why this is happening but since i disabled multigenerational LRU with "echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled" everything looks good so far. Distro is KDE Neon.
Regards,
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Are you using: liquorix 5.13.0-9.1?

Thanks for testing with the switch, that helps.
damentz
Reply Quote
Hi Skolo,

Can you submit an issue here? github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/issues

Specify you're running Liquorix, which version, and make sure you mention in the subject of the issue that it's caused by MG-LRU. Once it's up we can get help from Yu, the author of the MG-LRU patch set. He'll follow-up when he gets some time with output he needs or things he would like you to try.

Thanks!
Skolo
Reply Quote
My computer just froze again so I can no longer be sure it is caused by MG-LRU and why this is happening. Sorry for any inconvenience caused!
Kernel is Liquorix 5.13.0-9.1
(5.13.0-9.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT liquorix 5.13-3ubuntu1~focal (2021-08-08) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
damentz
Reply Quote
Ok, I think you might have some weird hybrid system. You're KDE neon system is actually Ubuntu Focal, which at this point is ancient for kernel 5.13.

Can you try upgrading to Ubuntu Hirsute (21.04)? Most likely the userspace of your installation is far too old to support a newer kernel and you must upgrade. This includes mesa, xorg, libdrm, firmware, etc.

EDIT: I supply kernels for older Ubuntu and Debian releases out of convenience, but as soon as you have a new issue that's not reproducible on a rolling release system, most likely it's the older software having a mismatch the newer kernel. That's why I always recommend upgrading. Some people can go a long time without updating their core OS, some cannot depending on their hardware.
Skolo
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
Can you try upgrading to Ubuntu Hirsute (21.04)? Most likely the userspace of your installation is far too old to support a newer kernel and you must upgrade. This includes mesa, xorg, libdrm, firmware, etc.

I don't think that upgrade is possible because KDE Neon is based on ubuntu lts, however I upgraded most of the userspace components through PPAs (mesa, libdrm, firmware) and it worked well in my case.