Page: 1, 2  Next

[RESOLVED] Looking for liquorix 5.9 deb packages
rooots
Reply Quote
Hi all,

with 5.10.0-xxxx-liquorix-amd64, VirtualBox won't work under Ubuntu Focal so I was looking to re-install liquorix 5.9 to be able to boot into when I need to use VirtualBox. However, it seems I can't find the 5.9 debs anymore, according to apt-get there is no install candidate in the ppa.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
r.
damentz
Reply Quote
Have you tried using Oracle's repository? Ubuntu doesn't update their virtualbox packages after release, so if you're a serious user of VirtualBox, you need to use their repository unless your distribution is rolls updates for you as they come out. This goes for all packages that use DKMS in Ubuntu, things will always become less compatible until the next major update, so plan accordingly.

With that said, try uninstalling virtualbox and installing Oracle's here: www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
rooots
Reply Quote
Hi,

thanks for the quick feedback, but I'm using Oracle's repos by default. According to various forum posts, VirtualBox has not been updated to work with 5.10 kernels yet.

Therefore again my question - do you still have liquorix 5.9 debs available so I can avoid building the kernel myself?

Cheers,
r.
damentz
Reply Quote
No, I don't, but building a kernel for an older release isn't difficult. The build tooling for Liquorix is OS agnostic using docker, so even if your environment is not setup to build properly, as long as you have docker installed, it should work, with the exception that you need default-key configured in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf.

Here's general instructions with Ubuntu Focal as an example:

:: Code ::
git clone --branch=5.9/master https://github.com/damentz/liquorix-package.git
cd liquorix-package/scripts/debian

# generate build ready docker images with your default gpg key and
# download the linux base archive if missing
./docker_bootstrap.sh

# make source package
./docker_build-source.sh ubuntu focal

# build binary packages and store in archive directory
./docker_build-binary.sh amd64 ubuntu focal

Then in liquorix-package/artifacts/ubuntu/focal will be your deb packages ready for install.
rooots
Reply Quote
Errm...well I just launched the bootstrap script and it totally flooded my / partition until it ran out of space :-(

Would you please give me a quick pointer on how to reverse the process? I think I'm better off with the old-style way of getting the 5.9 kernel sources, patching them and building... ;-)

Cheers,
r.
damentz
Reply Quote
You can run docker system prune -f to cleanup docker, then run docker image ls | awk '{print $3}' | xargs docker image rm to delete all images. You can also just wipe the contents /var/lib/docker folder entirely if you don't care about docker.

I'm currently building a new 5.10 release but once that's done, I'll build a separate 5.9 for Ubuntu Focal and give you a link once I'm done.
rooots
Reply Quote
When browsing through the output of ./docker_bootstrap.sh I see a ton of packages being downloaded and installed, although many of them were already installed before, for example

:: Code ::

Setting up mount (2.36.1-3) ...

but when I check after a reboot (I was able to free some 100MB on the partition), the installed verion is still 2.34, so I'm wondering where all the space has gone. apt-get clean did only free a couple of 100MB of the roughly 2GB previously taken.

Any help very much appreciated!
r.
rooots
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
You can run docker system prune -f to cleanup docker, then run docker image ls | awk '{print $3}' | xargs docker image rm to delete all images. You can also just wipe the contents /var/lib/docker folder entirely if you don't care about docker.

I'm currently building a new 5.10 release but once that's done, I'll build a separate 5.9 for Ubuntu Focal and give you a link once I'm done.

Wow, thanks a lot, that was VERY HELPFUL. I did not have any experience with docker before, hence the mess ;-)

Your efforts regarding the 5.9 build are very much appreciated.

Cheers,
r.
damentz
Reply Quote
Here's the last 5.9 release for Ubuntu Focal: liquorix.net/misc/linux-liquorix_5.9-16ubuntu1~focal_amd64.tar.gz
rooots
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot - it's working nicely! :-)

Cheers,
r.
Page: 1, 2  Next