[RESOLVED] 5.1.0-20.1-liquorix-686 does not boot on i686 Atom Z520
infinite-loop
Reply Quote
I've installed Debian 10 package from the repo, upon boot it complains:

"This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected i686 CPU"

Looks like i686 package contains x86-64 kernel.
damentz
Reply Quote
Well that's interesting, I stopped building 32-bit kernels after 5.1.0 due to the poor ratio of users to bugs. Basically, bugs specific to 32-bit slip through the cracks because developers don't test 32-bit, and there's not enough users to catch the bugs before stable updates comes out.

I went ahead and removed all kernels at 5.1.0 or earlier, so unless your system is misconfigured, it should pull from 64-bit. If you're still having issues, that means your installation is some how telling apt to pull package data for 32-bit rather than 64-bit. You can override it by updating the source line like so:

:: Code ::
deb [arch=amd64] https://liquorix.net/debian buster main

EDIT:

I looked up your CPU, it's a 32-bit processor. Liquorix has not has 32-bit support since early-to-mid 2019. You'll want to stick with your distribution's stock kernel or find an alternative custom kernel that still supports 32-bit.
infinite-loop
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
Well that's interesting, I stopped building 32-bit kernels after 5.1.0 due to the poor ratio of users to bugs. Basically, bugs specific to 32-bit slip through the cracks because developers don't test 32-bit, and there's not enough users to catch the bugs before stable updates comes out.

I went ahead and removed all kernels at 5.1.0 or earlier, so unless your system is misconfigured, it should pull from 64-bit. If you're still having issues, that means your installation is some how telling apt to pull package data for 32-bit rather than 64-bit. You can override it by updating the source line like so:

:: Code ::
deb [arch=amd64] https://liquorix.net/debian buster main

EDIT:

I looked up your CPU, it's a 32-bit processor. Liquorix has not has 32-bit support since early-to-mid 2019. You'll want to stick with your distribution's stock kernel or find an alternative custom kernel that still supports 32-bit.

Yeah, it's a 32 bit CPU.

Still haven't quite let go of my VAIO subnotebook, as there wasn't a direct replacement on the market since.
Was pretty impressed with MuQSS responsiveness on modern systems and decided to try it out on the oldest hardware still in use.

It's a bit sad to see 32 bit support dying, but I guess that is inevitable.

Thanks for looking into this.