5.9.0-x.y-liquorix-amd64 freeze during boot
rooots
Reply Quote
Hi,

with the recent 5.9.0-x.y liquorix-amd64 kernels, I'm frequently seeing a freeze during both cold and warm boots, that is, every fifth boot or so. The kernel reproducibly is getting stuck at the same lines, which can't be resolved other than turning the PC off and on again. This has never happened with previous kernel versions. I have captured a screenshot:

ibb.co/Kj3XP6L

:: Code ::

$ inxi -b
System:    Host: xxxxxxxxxxxxx Kernel: 5.9.0-11.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <superuser/root required>
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA v: Rev 1.xx
           serial: <superuser/root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 0607 date: 05/29/2020
CPU:       10-Core: Intel Core i9-10900KF type: MCP speed: 5400 MHz min/max: 800/3701 MHz
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA driver: nvidia v: 455.45.01
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia tty: N/A
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce RTX 3080/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 455.45.01
Network:   Device-1: Aquantia AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet [AQtion] driver: atlantic
           Device-2: Intel driver: igc
Drives:    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Info:      xxxxxxxxxxxxx
           inxi: 3.0.38

Any suggestions for debugging are welcome.

Cheers,
r.
damentz
Reply Quote
So two things I noticed that might help.

1) Have you tried updating your BIOS? You have a very recent motherboard, the most recent BIOS was released several days ago: rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xii-hero-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_bios/

2) Is your overclock configured for 5.4ghz? Maybe you have an unstable overclock that's specifically problematic on Liquorix. Liquorix is configured to start with the performance governor, which means your CPUs will ramp to full speed during boot. If your overclock is unstable, some of your boot attempts will fail.

I recommend verifying your overclock is stable with prime95/mprime and see if you can survive 15 minutes without errors and thermal throttling.
damentz
Reply Quote
And another question for you, is 5.9.0-11.1-liquorix-amd64 the only version you're having problems with?

I backported a change to MuQSS that occurred to CFS in stable commit:

kernel/sched/core.c: sched: Fix rq->nr_iowait ordering
kernel/sched/MuQSS.c muqss: Backport "sched: Fix rq->nr_iowait ordering"
rooots
Reply Quote
Hi,

thanks for the advise. However, I've been running liquorix kernels with this configuration & OC since June without any issues. It might be worth noting that this OC is with HTT disabled (that is, 10C10T) and using a very potent custom water cooling solution. The system is stable except for heavy AVX loads, therefore I suspected that there is more about the current problem than just the OC. Even more so as it's winter here and the PC is in a room with an ambient of rougly 18C.
Anyway, I've updated the BIOS to 0901 which did not make a difference. I then decreased the OC by 200MHz and did not experience any boot issues during the last 3 days. This does confirm your hypothesis but somehow contradicts my experience.

As I did not read your second answer until now: Do you mean the backported changes only apply to 5.9.0-11.1 and later (-11.2 and 11.3)?

Cheers,
r.
rooots
Reply Quote
A quick update: the freeze unfortunately also occurs with the reduced clocks, which are pretty much inside Intel's specs. This is with 5.9.0-12.1-liquorix-amd64.

Cheers,
r.