[RESOLVED (as of 5.14)] Anbox
landeel
Reply Quote
I can't get Anbox to start on Lubuntu 20.04 with Liquorix 5.8.x kernel.
When I execute the "anbox.appmgr", the splash screen shows up, hangs a while and then it closes.
It does work with 20.04's vanilla 5.4 kernel.
Any thoughts?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
github.com/anbox/anbox/blob/master/docs/install.md#install-necessary-kernel-modules

Requires kernel modules, that will build.

To run liquorix on a frozen pool distro, you have to learn enough to know that that means, in particular, when it comes to building kernel modules that probably will not work on newer kernels than the frozen pool contains.

I'd never heard of anbox, and it only took me a few clicks to find the probable failure cause, incompatible kernel modules.

My thoughts are: pick one, distro packaged kernels and their modules, and things will work the way you want, OR use liquorix and learn what that means in terms of using frozen pool distros [it means don't do it if you need special kernel modules], OR learn how to try to build new modules on latest kernels when they probably are failing to compile, which is no fun.

Liquorix has done its job, it installed, booted, and that's the end of liquorixes task, after that, it's all on you.
landeel
Reply Quote
Hey!

[link]
:: Quote ::
Starting with Ubuntu 19.04 binder and ashmem are now build with the standard Ubuntu kernel (>= 5.0) and you don’t have to install the modules from the PPA anymore.

The required modules are 'ashmem_linux' and 'binder_linux'.

They are supposedly in mainline since kernel 5.0.

Using liquorix, I can see 'ashmem_linux' in lsmod, but I can't see 'binder_linux'.

I've tried to build from the sources provided by anbox, but they're not compatible with kernels newer than 5.7.something.

I can 'modprobe binder_linux' without any errors, but still it's not listed in lsmod.

EDIT:
Related issue report in Anbox's github:
[link]
damentz
Reply Quote
I think the issue is that I recently introduced building ASHMEM as a module with some patches that didn't quite work. In Zen Kernel I reverted those patches [1] and now build both binder and ashmem statically [2].

Next release should fix your issue. If not, you'll need to wait for 5.9 or there's something else wrong on your system.

[1] github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/commit/92c5e5feeb0051ca936d29877ee067e33d5e7de8
[2] github.com/damentz/liquorix-package/commit/8c3cb2e12aac64ff28550b812e76ba0e6bc89adc
landeel
Reply Quote
Thank you!
I've tried 5.8 after the changes and Anbox won't start.
Same thing with 5.9.
I guess the problem is on Anbox's side.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Recently had the same question asked on the MX Linux forums--I backported anbox from Debian testing, but it only runs on a Debian kernel.

I tried rebuilding the current Liquorix kernel with ashmem and binder as modules instead of statically, but the respective .ko files never are built. So yes, something must be interfering.
landeel
Reply Quote
Using 5.13.0-16.2-liquorix-amd64 and Anbox still won't start. No idea why.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Because you are trying to use new kernels on a module that probably only supports and builds on the frozen pool distribution kernels. aka, older kernels. Don't expect this to change, though with debian stable going live recently, they may update their code to work on newer kernels, but you'll always hit this issue I assume, it's why you use frozen pool distros and kernels, when you need stability.

You have to follow this on their website and release notes page, not here, it's not a liquorix issue. You're trying to use the wrong tool for the job.
landeel
Reply Quote
Finally it just works with 5.14.0-6.1-liquorix-amd64.
damentz
Reply Quote
:: landeel wrote ::
Finally it just works with 5.14.0-6.1-liquorix-amd64.

Great! Liquorix 5.14 switched from MuQSS to PDS for task scheduling. It's spiritually very similar but has some differences that should improve single threaded application performance. One other boon is the author behind PDS does a good job keeping in sync with mainline, so bugs like Anbox not working go away.