Compile kernel error dkms
chucky-reload
Reply Quote
Hi. I am having trouble compiling the kernel.
I did what I always do, make menuconfig, choose the necessary options, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install. When I do make install it gives me that there is a problem to compile modules by dkms ...
I tried to do dkms autoinstall before doing make install and it gives me an error with some modules.
I'm using zen source, I start with the liquorix config and proceed to modify the necessary.

Building module:
cleaning build area...
make -j2 KERNELRELEASE=5.8.3-zen1 -C /lib/modules/5.8.3-zen1/build M=/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.30.223.271+bdcom/build.......(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.8.3-zen1 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.30.223.271+bdcom/build/make.log for more information.

Thanks greetings.
damentz
Reply Quote
That looks like your DKMS modules for bcmwl doesn't have the necessary patches to support the 5.8 kernel.

What distribution are you running? Arch Linux's DKMS package didn't require an update to support 5.8:
github.com/archlinux/svntogit-community/commits/packages/broadcom-wl-dkms/trunk

In-fact, the last patch added to support newer kernels was back in May 2019 for kernel 5.1. I personally haven't tested if broadcom-wl supports 5.8 (Liquorix is still on 5.7), but so far there's no bug reports:
bugs.archlinux.org/?project=5&string=broadcom-wl
bugs.archlinux.org/?project=5&string=broadcom-wl-dkms
chucky-reload
Reply Quote
It's okay. I understand that.
The strange thing is that I download the liquorix kernel sources 5.7.0-19.1 and the same thing happens to me.
The illogical thing is that I have it installed through APT on my debian.
How can certain dkms modules work with the kernel installed with APT and when I compile it it does not allow me to do so?

Another strange thing is that when I installed the system, I downloaded the kernel source I could do it without problems, but on the second try I started this error.
Reinstall the system and again in the first attempt it does not give problems, but the second it does.
It's like leaving a trace ... run make clean and make mrproper but without success ... the problem persists
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The only illogical thing I can see here is believing that a generic debian packaged dkms module, built for the generic debian kernel, whatever that is currently, would magically always work with the current liquorix cutting edge kernel.

how you install these packages is irrelevant, the debian module package is built to work with the debian kernel in the pool you are using, period. You didn't specify. the pool you use determines what kernels that dkms package would have supported, if it's a frozen pool, liquorix might have worked early on, but no longer will work later on, there's many variables.

these variables are why we always want to see: inxi -bxy
at the very least, so we don't have to play guessing games.
chucky-reload
Reply Quote
y entonces tengo que buscar el codigo fuente de estos modulos y crear los modulos dkms para el kernel que yo pretengo compilar?.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
No, very unlikely, instead you have to pick between running distro packaged kernels and their dkms modules and running liquorix. For example, I'm running the 3.40 non free nvidia driver, which isn't working on my particular setup with any kernel later than 5.4, so I am stuck on 5.4 on one system until either nvidia releases a patched version, or I get tired of waiting and switch to amdgpu with amd card or try nouveau, but the thing that will never happen is that I will be able to recode the 5.4 driver to work on 5.5 and later kernels.

modules don't magically just work with new kernels, they often need patching, updates, a lot of stuff, and that's why distros don't do cutting edge kernels as a rule, they have to collect all the modules and make sure it works with the kernel in the package pool so they can release the updated dkms modulles and the updated kernels at the same time. Some distros ignore non free ddivrs, which is correct, and don't worry if non free drivers fail on new kernels, but I think most try to have the modules with free/open code build against the new kernels..

while your assumption that everyone can read spanish is ambitious, it's really just random that I can, so you want to avoid that as a rule when posting in an english language forum.

Note that you have still not shown us: inxi -bxz / inxi -Fxz

which means we still have no idea what you are running.
chucky-reload
Reply Quote
okay. But I have Linux 5.8.0-9.3-liquorix-amd64 running at the moment and without problems.
When I download the sources to compile them, it gives me the error of dkms modules.
So if those modules are not compatible, why does the precompiled kernel work?

Regarding why I compile the kernel? I have several reasons, among some of them deactivating the ME_intel, and making some changes to the energy management that bios does not allow me.
And by the way, I choose my processor and reduce the size of the core, removing everything that is unnecessary.

Also as explained above, I have the same problem even when I compile the kernel sources that is by default on my system. That is why I mean that I am using the dkms wrong.

Thank you
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You MUST post: inxi -bxxz

or you are wasting all our time.