[RESOLVED] liquorix kernel breaks fwupdmgr BIOS updates
mbod
Reply Quote
I am using Manjaro stable on my Lenovo Thinkpad and I am used to do BIOS updates with fwupdmgr:
:: Code ::
fwupdmgr get-devices && fwupdmgr refresh && fwupdmgr get-updates && fwupdmgr update

This works fine with the regular Manjaro kernels. Since this week I am using linux-lqx (from arch) and it happens that today I checked for a BIOS update. The update was downloaded but the final step "fwupdmgr update" failed. It says "Could not find /boot/efi/EFI/manjaro/fw"

I had to boot the regular Manjaro kernel to get it installed. Why is that?
mbod
Reply Quote
I compared the kernel configs from Manjaro and liquorix. I found the following EFI parameter not set in Liquorix but in Manjaro:

:: Code ::
CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_MAP=y
CONFIG_EFI_SOFT_RESERVE=y
CONFIG_EFI_EMBEDDED_FIRMWARE=y

Can that be related?
damentz
Reply Quote
Good timing, I was working on releasing an update when I saw your forum post.

I synchronized the EFI config (required setting CONFIG_I2C from =m to =y), this added about a hundred more options I could set and made CONFIG_EFI_EMBEDDED_FIRMWARE available.

A new release is being built and should be out in the next 2 hours. Lets see if that solves issues with fwupdmgr.
damentz
Reply Quote
I'm marking this as resolved. My systems already can perform firmware updates through EFI, and I synchronized the configuration from Arch. If there's anything left it's probably PEBKAC.