Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dual boot, can't use w2000 when xp sp1 or 2 is installed.
Bill
Reply Quote
Whe I install the w2000 version of ntldr file that is posted, will it automatically replace the original file in xp? If not, what is the correct procedure to accomplish this change?
jeffd
Reply Quote
It's not an executable, it doesn't install itself anywhere. It's a simple file. If you replace the current file with that one, it will replace it. If you make a copy of the current file, which you should do, say ntldr-bu, then copy the windows 2000 ntldr file to your windows root directory, that's what will happen.

You accomplish this change the same way you would with any other file, copy it, drag it, whatever you want. Just make sure to create a backup copy of your current one first as a matter of good practice.
Bill
Reply Quote
Sorry to be so lame on this matter, but how do I know that I'm copying the right original ntldr file? (Is there more than one?) Also do I need to direct the new file to a particular drive such as the on my system files are on?
Thanks for your quick response jeff.
jeffd
Reply Quote
ntldr is a file. If you have a standard windows install, it is located here:

c:\ntldr

There is only one ntldr file, it's one of several boot files windows uses, each has its own name.

I assume you have two windows on your box, otherwise this issue shouldn't be affecting you. So you boot into the working windows, take the file you downloaded, and, after creating a backup copy of the xp ntldr file, simply install, copy, paste, drag and drop, whatever, this w2k ntldr into the defective windows boot directory.

However, I've found that on later XP service pack installs, this issue didn't appear, so it's hard to say exactly case by case anyway. However, judging by the traffic this windows forum item gets, it looks like some people are still having this issue.

Note: ntldr is a windows system file, if you are using default windows explorer settings you won't see the file, you have to change the setting to view hidden files, view system files.
Bill
Reply Quote
I just searched my files.
I have two that came up. NTLDR C:\I386 and
ntldr C:WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386
(I've typed the two iles as they appear on my search.)
Is this "service pack" file something left over from my uninstall of XP's SP1 or SP2? Or could it be listing a win2000 service pack on my other system. (I'm in XP Pro)
Can you help me on what to do here before I really make a mess?
Thanks jeffd, in advance.
Bill
Reply Quote
jeffd,
I booted to my win2000 and searched for the ntldr file. The same two files came up. so I assume they are shared with xp and 2000. Should I delete both files and install the one on the link? I have copied both of my ntldr files to a cd.
bill
jeffd
Reply Quote
The ntldr you need to replace is in your active, boot partition. That's where your boot.ini file will also be found. That's the one that xp sp 1 or 2 replaced with it's own ntldr version that broke the boot.

As far as I know, there is only one boot.ini file on a multiboot windows system.
Bill
Reply Quote
I'm lost. I guess what you are saying is that neither of the files that I've listed here are the correct files to replace.
I can't find a ntldr file in my G partition where my XP active boot is located.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
NTLDR C:\I386 and

that's the one, the other one is just in a windows service pack archive.
Bill
Reply Quote
Thanks jeffd. I'll give it a try.
Do you think I should remove that "service pack" file?
One other thing. should I down load xp sp2 before I replace the file or after the install? I know the instructions say to replace first, but won't xp sp2's service pack overwrite the new file with it's own?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next