wifi not working
dps
Reply Quote
after installing the liquorix kernel onto my Ubuntu 18.04.3 system, my wifi no longer works. the thing is, it DOES show that the driver is selected when i open up additional drivers in "software and updates", but i cant use it for some reason (as in, it doesnt work, and nothing shows up in the top right panel menu).
I tried to switch back to my old kernel, but when i returned to it everything was huge and bloated, even though it showed that both the nvidia driver was selected, and showed the wifi driver was select (both not seeming to work).
I did `sudo apt remove linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64`, and then rebooted, but it took me right back into the instance with the liquorix kernel after rebooting ( i know this from a simple uname -a). also, when i now try to do sudo apt remove linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64, it tells me that its not installed.
any ideas on how i could keep the liqourix kernel installed, and get my wifi working? or maybe how to remove it, and start over from scratch without having to do a full reinstall?
dps
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You might want to think about not using Liquorix, most of the issues you are talking about are basic sys admin issue on a GNU/Linux system, Liquorix may not be the best choice for you. None of the issues were caused by liquorix, it's a driver/firmware issue, and if you're depending on GUI tools for resolving those,again, Liquorix may not be the best choice for you.
damentz
Reply Quote
You'll want to provide output of inxi -b so we can see why your wifi doesn't work on Liquorix. But, it's most likely your ancient distribution.

Try upgrading to Ubuntu 19.10 so that your userspace and firmware packages are more in line with what Liquorix requires. I provide Liquorix for every version of Ubuntu you can technically run, but that doesn't mean it'll work. The older your distribution, the more less likely things will work smoothly. The kernel at some point will expect newer firmware and newer userspace to take advantage of updated drivers.
Billy
Reply Quote
Hello

I am having the same issue on Linux Mint 19.3, after installing Liquroix I have lost my wifi. I ran inxi -b as suggested and it states:

Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
driver: N/A

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Billy
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Show the output of: inxi -bxxz

Don't just guess at what we want to see from that output, that's why we say to show it.
Billy
Reply Quote
I like guessing and I guess you are going to tell me to update my Distro as Linux Mint 19.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, and updating was the recommendation from the previous reply.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
We're not interested in guessing or playing games, either post the inxi -bxxz or there is no issue to consider. This isn't hard to do, you could of done it instead of posting the last response, same amount of time, so if you don't do it, I'll assume your issue is invalid and should be ignored.
Billy
Reply Quote
Yes, please ignore, I have removed the Liquorix kernel and under inxi -bxxz it now recognises a driver for the wifi card.

Will wait to see if Linux Mint 20 works better or upgrade to a newer Ubuntu distro.

Cheers,

Billy
damentz
Reply Quote
Billy, if you ran inxi -b on the system that was running, we'd know which driver was affected. But fortunately we can look at your model you gave us and guess that we need the Broadcom STA module.

This module is notorious for breaking on major kernel updates. I looked at the Debian changelog for broadcom-sta and it looks like kernel 5.6 broke compatibility and requires a patch to build through the DKMS package.

packages.qa.debian.org/b/broadcom-sta.html
metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/b/broadcom-sta/unstable_changelog
:: Code ::
broadcom-sta (6.30.223.271-12) unstable; urgency=medium

* debian/patches:
    - Add patch to adapt linux 5.6
      Thanks to Herman van Hazendonk (Closes: #955415).
  * debian/control:
    - Add Rules-Requires-Root: no

-- Roger Shimizu <rosh@debian.org>  Mon, 13 Apr 2020 23:59:43 +0900

Considering that, I'd recommend you hit up the maintainer for broadcom-sta for Linux Mint and ask them to backport the latest updates from Debian or Ubuntu. Your other option is to take the latest source package from Debian and build it on your local system if the Mint team doesn't cooperate.