No mq-deadline scheduler?
mira
Reply Quote
Hello,

there is "bfq" and "none" schedulers in liquorix kernel but no "mq-deadline"
I was thinking that mq-deadline (as a successor of deadline) is a best for real-time tasks and I was using deadline scheduler before for audio work.
Can be added mq-deadline scheduler? How "none" scheduler works for real-time tasks? It is knew to me.

best regards

mira
damentz
Reply Quote
Yup, mq-deadline was removed because many distributions attempt to override the kernel configuration in Liquorix with udev rules. I'd prefer to keep it in but there's no reasonable way of making mq-deadline optional while guaranteeing bfq is the default for all devices.

As for performance, bfq is the best IO scheduler available for consumer drives, period: www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-50hdd-io. Regressions indicated in the benchmarks of this article have already been patched since Phoronix made this article. You can see more benchmarks tailored to highlight BFQ's advantages on Paolo's own website: algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/results.php

And if you look at news on Phoronix, everyone is switching to BFQ as the default: www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=BFQ.

In my opinion, no one should be using anything besides BFQ unless you have a really good reason.
mira
Reply Quote
At least now I understand reasoning and that make sense to me.
On other hand ... sad for me is that I lost chance to experimenting myself with schedulers. :(

Anyway thank you for longtime my favorite kernels ;)

m.