[RESOLVED] Not able to install cpupower after installing the liquorix kernel
dps
Reply Quote
When trying to install cpupower via the terminal, I get messages about

:: Code ::
E: Unable to locate package linux-tools-5.2.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-tools-5.2.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-tools-5.2.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64'

That is the same message that I get when I try to install any of the needed packages for it, here are the ones needed:

WARNING: cpupower not found for kernel 5.2.0-18.1

You may need to install the following packages for this specific kernel:
    linux-tools-5.2.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64
    linux-cloud-tools-5.2.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64

You may also want to install one of the following packages to keep up to date:
    linux-tools-liquorix-amd64
    linux-cloud-tools-liquorix-amd64

Is this a known issue, or am I just doing this wrong now? I am new to using this custom kernel, so I'm guessing that there is something that I am supposed to be doing differently. Or at least maybe the process to install it is different now, since I installed this custom kernel.
I do know however that if I install cpupower BEFORE I install the liquorix, it works. Just not after I install the kernel. Any help would be amazing :)
Thanks!
damentz
Reply Quote
Have you tried installing the linux-tools package of your distribution? You don't need a Liquorix tool package to run cpupower, as far as I know.
dps
Reply Quote
Hey, thanks for the reply. But yes, I have tried to, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by my distros linux-tools package.
When I go to install the package, the code i posted is what is outputted to me.
When I open synaptic and search for linux-tools-5, it shows that I have the ones that are needed installed already, but then when I try t run the sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance command, it tells me that I need to install some packages specific to the liquorix kernel, as shown in the output, and of course it cant find the tools that are needed when I try running the command to install them.
Could you be more specific on what you think that I should do?
damentz
Reply Quote
What distribution and version are you running? Also, if you can provide the output of inxi -b, that'll help too.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It looks to me like cpupower package is set with a dependency of:
linux-tools-$(uname -r)

That's a packaging issue, and could probably be fixed by removing that dependency from the package before installing it.
kristof.allaert
Reply Quote
A question from a linux newbie: can anyone tell me how i can remove that dependency form the package list?
Which code do i need in terminal?
Thanks!
damentz
Reply Quote
So, I've started some basic work getting popular tools (that should already be packaged generically by the distribution), into the kernel headers of Liquorix for Debian/Ubuntu. Here's perf which is coming in the next update:

github.com/damentz/liquorix-package/commit/a7e83b300a057e967e4b2e30b8461dcb2d70099f

If this works out well I'll start adding others like cpupower. However, it's still up to you as the user to figure out how to utilize it, but I'm making it available in-case your distribution is absolutely certain linux tools are hyper specific (which they're not), to the kernel you have installed.

The best answer is to use a distribution that doesn't play that game. Arch linux has many spins available with different levels of support and ease of installation. The top three at the time of this posting that I'm aware of is EndeavourOS, RebornOS, and Manjaro. And for all of the above, you can get binary builds of the kernel here: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#liquorix

After switching, you can install perf and cpupower like a human being with, pacman -S perf cpupower.
damentz
Reply Quote
Ok, the latest packages at the time of this post have perf, cpupower, turbostat, and x86_energy_perf_policy in the /usr/src/<kernel headers> folder. As for how you'll use them, I'm not sure. Both Debian and Ubuntu take different approaches; Ubuntu requires a package per kernel distribution and some type of way to manage the default tools, while Debian takes a more sensible approach of making one set of unversioned tools available for all kernels.

Either way, now some of these common tools are packaged with Liquorix for both major distributions, but it's up to you to figure out how to utilize them.