5.1 coming soon?!
wildstar84
Reply Quote
Sry to be whiny, but could we just skip the rest of the 5.0-19,20,21?... and just release a 5.1 already? 5.2 already seems to be coming soon and even my distro already has a 5.1 option (but I'm sticking w/Liquorix and waiting as you always seem to have better kernels for me!). Reason I'm impatient is that 5.1 has a fix for a minor graphics issue I'm excited about and want to test!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Stuff, patches, have to be integrated and tested. Don't fall for the trap of believing that just because the number has been notched up by one that means that it's better, ready for prime time, or any other such frequent misconception about what Patrick Volkerding of Slackware has always called 'sucker kernels', that's the latest untested, unverified kernels, he calls them sucker kernels because suckers are the people who do the testing on them, finding the bugs, issues, failures, which are then fixed in later versions of the kernels, at which point he'll start considering them for inclusion in latest Slackware release. I've always liked Patrick's attitude about this stuff, it's very sensible, probably because he's been at it longer than pretty much anyone still out there.
damentz
Reply Quote
techAdmin is right, getting the first few stable releases of a new kernel is usually not a good idea if you want a smooth upgrade. But that's not the only reason I'm holding off:

www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.1-FSTRIM-Bug

While the 5.0 branch receives stable updates and there's reports for major bugs in 5.1, I'll wait.
wildstar84
Reply Quote
Good call, damentz - As a matter of fact, just AFTER I posted this, I happened to see (and read) that article you mentioned (FSTRIM bug)!

Regards,

Jim