noob questions - Nvidia and dkms and sgfxi
halfshavedyaks
Reply Quote
I have been using liquorix naively with dkms until 4.19 which broke my nvidia drivers.

I see from the "read this first" at the top of the forum that I should maybe be using sgfxi instead of dkms.

I have gcc 7.3 and 8.2 installed.

here is my inxi -bxx for 4.18 (since my system is near unusable with 4.19)

:: Code ::

System:    Host: bigbox Kernel: 4.18.0-20.3-liquorix-amd64 x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30) dm: lightdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF Z270 MARK 1 v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1009 date: 07/23/2017
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-7600K (-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.9
           speed/max: 3800/3801 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1c81
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 3840x2160@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77 Direct Render: Yes
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6 chip-ID: 8086:15b8
           Card-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: igb v: 5.4.0-k port: d000
           bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:1539
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2120.4GB (11.0% used)
Info:      Processes: 218 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 1280.4/15980.2MB
           Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191 running in gnome-terminal-) inxi: 2.3.56

so my questions are:

* what changed in 4.19 that broke my nividia drivers and will switching to sgfxi fix it?

* how do I "purge" dkms? Is just removing it from my system using apt or synaptic enough?

* once I purge dkms will my current kernel still work with nvidia?

* should I purge dkms before installing sgfxi or does the order not matter?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Don't overthink this, install sgfxi, run it, as root.

It does everything.

Expecting people to know why a new kernel breaks something is totally unrealistic, there's millions of lines of code in the kernel, and it has always, and probably will always, break things on changes. The linux kernel in particular takes great joy in breaking nvidia, they've done it for years, as maintainer of sgfxi for years, I can assure you, they often do this on purpose, despite their protestations that it's always for a 'good reason', and, even more amusingly, their ongoing absurd statements about userspace and the abi being sacred, and never to be broken.

Sometimes there are patches for latest kernels, when people do know what broke and why, or a hack to work around it, but keeping up with those year after year is a time suck so I don't do that much anymore since there's no true need to run latest kernels for most users.
halfshavedyaks
Reply Quote
from [link]

:: Quote ::
sgfxi cannot however purge dkms itself, so you'll be doing yourself a big favor purging that yourself before installing Liquorix.

was the source of many of my questions. Perhaps the "what broke" question is better phrased as " is anyone running 4.19 with nvidia and sgfxi successfully?"

prior experience suggest that messing with kernels and nvidia can result in very inconvenient brokenness if things are done wrong hence my caution.
damentz
Reply Quote
I'd say as general principle, if you're using liquorix through Arch, the DKMS packages are adequate. Since the primary Arch kernel package is usually up-to-date (within 2 minor releases), the nvidia package must work. That requires the nvidia package maintainer to be diligent with patch inclusion and version bumps from upstream updates to make sure it works at all times.

Debian on the other hand is a bit slower, and the nvidia packages seem to be randomly updated. Sometimes it's the latest upstream with all required patches for a modern kernel, and sometimes it's not. In that case, sgfxi makes more sense on Debian.

And with Ubuntu, there's a graphics ppa that's usually more up-to-date than Debian here: launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

You must also remember if you require the world around nvidia, like cuda and the things it needs, many packages that you may install will depend on the distribution nvidia packages themselves. If that's the case, you'll want to figure out how to use DKMS anyway because of that.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
'dkms itself' means the actual dkms package, which can own many other dkms modules. sgfxi only removes the relevant dkms module, nvidia in this case, since it has no business trying to remove anything else. Like I said, don't overthink this.
phd
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77 Direct Render: Yes

Install 415.x drivers (or at least 4xx.x).
On Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic I use these: launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa