smxi does not install the latest version of my towo kernel
mdmarmer
Reply Quote
smxi does not install the latest version of my towo kernel -- here's the log

paste.debian.net/1048327
techAdmin
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
install main: apt-get install --no-install-recommends  -y  linux-headers-4.18.15-towo.2-siduction-amd64 linux-image-4.18.15-towo.2-siduction-amd64
    Error: 100 with install of linux-headers-4.18.15-towo.2-siduction-amd64 linux-image-4.18.15-towo.2-siduction-amd64

I don't use siduction, so I can't tell you why the command failed

but you can by simply running that command.

apt-get install --no-install-recommends  -y  linux-headers-4.18.15-towo.2-siduction-amd64 linux-image-4.18.15-towo.2-siduction-amd64

smxi doesn't record the actual error, just the failure event.

By the way, one small change I have noticed which is super annoying because it breaks years and years of standard behaviors is that you have to use:

su -

not plain su to become root. Note the - after the su. Without that, apt commands will fail, and that change is not something smxi or sgfxi know how to test for at this point.

I don't know what or who made that change, but it's just one more thing that demonstrates the ability of gnu/linux to shoot themselves in the foot every time they get close to having solved so many end user problems.

www.tecmint.com/difference-between-su-and-su-commands-in-linux/

that article explains it well.
mdmarmer
Reply Quote
Probably that's it -- i don't think i did the su - ... i think it works when i do a dist-upgrade with smxi because then it will show an obvious failure unless i do the su - but if i just ask for the kernel upgrade without the dist-upgrade then i forget to use the su - and it fails but i don't know that it it failed until i reboot and the new kernel isn't installed. Thanks!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
smxi should have shown a failure message I think. It might have gone on, but it would have shown it, at least that is what I remember it doing.

The su - is really annoying, I don't know when that behavior changed, but it catches me on apt-get install frequently.

Basically you can make a shortcut that maps sur to su - or something like that, but it's an annoyance.

I could maybe work around it by creating the paths and other environmental values from root internally, but aside from $PATH I don't know what else is involved.