liquorix vs siduction vs libcap-ng0
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Hi techadmin,
I am using Debian testing, recently a dist-upgrade loaded libcap-ng0, which causes segmentation fault, there is a bug filed against this package but no fix in sight.
I cannot uninstall it because it will drag critical packages like apt, dbus and others.
So I will have to wait for the fix to arrive.
Or, I could load an alternate kernel with smxi to see if that resolves issue.
Which one would you recommend?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
github.com/stevegrubb/libcap-ng/issues/5 suggests that the bug has been accepted, deemed critical, and they are probably working on solving it right now.

then it depends on how long Debian takes to get it into Sid, then sid to testing.

I don't see how this is related to the kernel unless it's something specific to 4.17, if so, it takes less time to try an alternate kernel install than it does to type an answer here, so give it a try and see if it works. If it does, run the older kernel, or newer, whatever is needed, until the bug is fixed upstream and is in debian.

Since this bug hit apache, it's fairly certain it will be corrected very quickly, since that's actually money stuff, not just a toy thing.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I don't see it in apache2, but on the boot sequence of my desktop, it takes 3 minutes to load the desktop after I see the segfault, that is annoying.
This is what Debian has to say about libcap-ng0:
"This library implements the user-space interfaces to the POSIX
1003.1e capabilities available in Linux kernels. These capabilities are
a partitioning of the all powerful root privilege into a set of distinct
privileges."
Anyway will try an alternate kernel although I don't know which one, guess i will start with liquorix.
Thanks for answer.