Liquorix kernel build (step by step instruction)
funky-manky
Reply Quote
Hi everyone.

Need help, please.

Can anyone explain step by step how to build .deb for 4.14.0-8.2-liquorix-amd64 installation.
Due to my laptop have the best performance on 4.14.0-8.2-liquorix-amd64 kenrnel (UnixBench) it's a high urgency question =)

Thx
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There is a deb, and a repo, for liquorix. Ahd there are online tutorials on how to create deb packages, so there is no reason for someone to rewrite those for you here, just use a search engine and find one. If it's truly urgent, you should have already done this, but there may still be time if you start now.

There is even a legacy version maintained, check the sticky posts above.
damentz
Reply Quote
You can probably try reading this: blog.packagecloud.io/eng/2015/05/18/building-deb-packages-with-pbuilder/

There's some scripts to create the source package in the official github repo here: github.com/damentz/liquorix-package. You'll want to use make-debian-sources.sh to make the source files, then pbuilder to build it in a sanitized environment.

There's hundreds of details in-between, unfortunately, so you'll need to try it by trial and error. You'll also notice that I'm missing a build script in the liquorix github repo, that's because the script I use internally isn't entirely portable, so I'm working on making something more auto-magic that can be integrated into a build server.

But, the pbuilder instructions from the first link above should get you where you need to be.
funky-manky
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
You can probably try reading this: [link]

There's some scripts to create the source package in the official github repo here: [link]. You'll want to use make-debian-sources.sh to make the source files, then pbuilder to build it in a sanitized environment.

There's hundreds of details in-between, unfortunately, so you'll need to try it by trial and error. You'll also notice that I'm missing a build script in the liquorix github repo, that's because the script I use internally isn't entirely portable, so I'm working on making something more auto-magic that can be integrated into a build server.

But, the pbuilder instructions from the first link above should get you where you need to be.

Thank you, damentz.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Does that older version give you the best performance because it doesn't have the Meltdown kpti mitigation, which I seem to remember arrived in the 4.14 kernel about that time?

I think you can turn off kpti with a kernel boot parameter on the kernels that have it, if I'm reading the articles on Phoronix correctly. If that's the case, you can just do that with a more recent kernel to get the full speed out of the kernel.